1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mentioning the word "cancer" gets you a gag/mute now

Discussion in 'Server Problems & Suggestions' started by atemB, Sep 23, 2017.

1. atemB

atemB Newbie

Why is this a thing? Gagging and muting for sexism, racism, bigotry, I can understand but now the pay admins(Actually, it's literally just dildo. haven't seen anybody else give a shit about this issue) on jailbreak have taken it upon themselves to gag and mute people for even mentioning the word "cancer".

This is an incredibly weird thing for me personally because the one close family member I lost to cancer coped with the situation by making jokes about it. When we use the word cancer, it's not a "fuck you" at everybody who has cancer. We're just using it to make humour. I get the feeling that admins who enforce this crusade against the word cancer have never actually known someone with cancer in their life. It's a really weird way of restricting the humour and language players on the server can communicate to each other at nobody's benefit. Nobody with cancer gets offended when someone uses the word in a jokey way.

There's nothing against the rules about it and it's literally just something the admins (seriously though, specifically dildo: i haven't seen ANYBODY else enforce this) have decided to randomly white knight.

If upper hell clan management feel like persecuting usage of the word "cancer" is justified then I would like to hear the reasoning behind it.

I also find it especially hypocritical that running dildo of all people is the only one enforcing the admin war on the word "cancer" given how stupid and offensive his name is.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. JayJay

JayJay Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

If you honestly think joking about cancer is a good thing find another community many people surfer from it and to make jokes is disgusting.

There doesn’t need to be a rule for everything, it’s common sense don’t disrespect people and use words like that that could affend somebody.

I personally give one warning, any thing after that find yourself gagged, muted or banned. I personally will not tolerate it.

Feel free to ask for unban/ unmute just hope I don’t come across your appeal as I won’t go easy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Zeo

Zeo Member

No N/C word , No Religion/Race conflict. :))

4. Mousey

Mousey Veteran Member
    Donator

Glad you can speak for the whole population

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
  5. Murky

Murky Veteran Member
    Donator

Its not only Dildo, literally every admin gives u warning, I have seen even hell admins give warning. You are lier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ge0➆

Ge0➆ Member
    Donator

Are you serious?

7. Pure

Pure Senior Member
    Donator

I'm sure I warned you too about that
    atemb.png

8. HAMSI-BOY [NL]

HAMSI-BOY [NL] Junior Member

just dont use that words man its not hard, (rules are made to be broken) but exept this :(

9. atemB

atemB Newbie

Literally anything can offend anybody. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Besides, far more people would find the words "Running dildo" dropped in a day to day conversation a lot more offensive and vulgar than the usage of the word "cancer".

The selective censoring of the word "cancer" makes no sense to me. People on the server regularly say "faggot" and "retard" but both these words are far more offensive to far more people than "cancer". I personally don't give a shit about any of these words but I'd like to know why "every" admin (in Murky's words) has an agenda against the usage of the word.

10. Mousey

Mousey Veteran Member
    Donator

Any of those words if used maliciously towards people repeatedly end up in warnings/gags. It's just disrespectful. I don't see why you and a small minority of people feel the need to use it offensively.

11. Myles

Myles The Experienced
    Retired Member

So because they joked with it makes it fine for everyone else? people who have/ had cancer make their own way of coping with it, the reason it isn't funny is because of the destruction it can and does cause to people and their families, so that is one reason why people don't like it being throw about so freely. a lot of people might know someone (not close to them) who has/ had cancer, but they don't know the pain it causes. I have had 3 family members who were diagnosed with it, my father having it twice and thankfully pulled through both, my grandparents not so lucky. So when you say shit like "this is cancer" or throw it in a sentence cause its funny, you will get punished.

I think this is enough "reasoning".

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. atemB

atemB Newbie

I'm sorry for your loss, but it doesn't take away from my point. Should we also ban the word "car" because there are likely people on the server who had family involved in car crashes?

You also still haven't given me a reason why it should be banned. Why does your personal experiences dictate what other people can say? Like I said before, I have also lost a loved one to cancer but that didn't make me hate the word. It's just a word to describe a condition, and the word has more uses than that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Murky

Murky Veteran Member
    Donator

you can report people if u are offended or tell PA and they always give a warning, personally I use retard word but only to my friends and not to players who I don't know. there was some time when I get offended and I asked admin to give warning and he did.

14. GeorgeLAD

GeorgeLAD The Experienced
    Donator

Such a troll, I'd ignore him, he's only provoking a response

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Myles

Myles The Experienced
    Retired Member

If you are going to use any disease in an insulting/ joking manor which is going to be offensive, then you will be punished, the word itself isn't banned, it's the way you use it which can get you in trouble, you can't use it to say something like "this game is cancer", cause it's not funny, as you're then referencing a game to a disease that kills thousands, hopefully this is clear enough for you, I'm not saying you can't use the word, just be careful in the manor you do.

16. atemB

atemB Newbie

What an ironic post.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017, Original Post Date: Sep 24, 2017 ---
    Fair enough. I realise it's not my place to really argue this. I don't really feel strongly about the issue one way or another. It's your guy's server, your rules. I guess I just a little salty I got gagged for it.