1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a new laptop

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by Awesom-o, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Awesom-o

Awesom-o Senior Member
    Donator

Hey everyone!

I've noticed my 2 year old laptop is starting to have some issues and I cannot run the majority of the newer games so I want to buy a new one.

Since about 2 years I know f all about what's good and what's not in a computer / laptop so I'm turning to you guys for help. My budget is around £500-£600 but that can be adjusted if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

2. GeorgeLAD

GeorgeLAD The Experienced
    Donator

[​IMG]

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  3. DomošPlayTV LP

But why dont you just buy a computer but a laptop?

4. Awesom-o

Awesom-o Senior Member
    Donator

I don't have space in my room for a desktop PC so I use a laptop

5. Murky

Murky Veteran Member
    Donator

I have this laptop. pretty cool
    Dell Inspiron 15
    [​IMG]

6. DomošPlayTV LP

Well Im not into laptops n shit but good luck anyway

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. SenorPedro

SenorPedro Member
    Super User

I'm in the same situation at the moment @Awesom-o, looking for a new laptop that will run games at a decent rate. Any specs or features in particular you want from the laptop? I'll keep an eye out and let you know of any that I see

8. Awesom-o

Awesom-o Senior Member
    Donator

No specs or features tbh, just within my budget

9. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

To buy good laptops, you need to make sure you are getting the best CPU and GPU for the price as you wont be able to upgrade or even swap them later on. Also what size screen you want. 15" are more desirable than 17" if you are always on the move. The rest can be not so good. It doesn't matter if your laptop has less ram or crap harddisk as you can upgrade these later and get extra boost in performance.

Here is one on ebay, it's refurbished by Dell. The description says it has some scratches (you are gonna scratch it up anyway): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Insp...ull-HD-1080P-4GB-Nvidia-1TB-8GB-/172179982616
    I know its over your budget of 600 but it's got the top tier powerful CPU from Intel and Nvidia GTX 960M GPU. It's also got a nice bottom panel maintenance access to clean up the crap that builds up inside the laptop. The negatives would be the harddisk is slow with 5400rpm... and the trackpad is in awkward position. Apart from that I think its good.. I like the colours they used on this laptop. ]HeLL[ Website-ish

• Like Like x 3
  10. Awesom-o

Awesom-o Senior Member
    Donator

This one looks good and I probably would get it however I'd prefer an optical drive in the laptop.

11. Arya

Arya Veteran Member
    Retired Member

You can always purchase an optical drive later on that works with USB too. Not necessary to have a built in one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Awesom-o

Awesom-o Senior Member
    Donator

13. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

These are not coming close to the one I posted because the CPU and GPU is better on the Dell.

From the 2 links, If i was forced to choose and buy, I'd go with the Asus K501UX because its got a bit better GPU compared to MSI and its also got SSD which will give a nice boost over the MSI laptop.

Laptop CPUs are already quite weak compared to Desktop CPUs so try your best to get a powerful CPU in a laptop if you want to run games. Games like CS:GO or source games utilise much of the CPU.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Awesom-o

Awesom-o Senior Member
    Donator

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. SenorPedro

SenorPedro Member
    Super User

I'm looking at getting that one now also,
    It's got everything I need and looks like it'll last a while with the hardware it's got,
    Only thing I'm thinking to deciede on now is, is it worth The extra €150 for the 4k touchscreen?
    Here is the selection of configurations available to me in Ireland. Regardless of going for the 1080p or 4k variation I plan on upgrading the ram at some point Aswell as adding a 250gb ssd.

16. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

Touch screen is useless for gaming. Mouse > Touch

Whats your budget? If you can spend more, you can consider XPS laptops.

17. SenorPedro

SenorPedro Member
    Super User

But it'd be more for the 4K resolution rather than the touch screen, and seeing as this isn't a 2 in 1 laptop/tablet I see the touch screen as irrelevant, it would be more of an added on gimmick in my eyes.

In my mind I had ~€1300 at a maximum. I could spend a bit more and go for the XPS, its a beautiful laptop with great specs, I just don't know if could justify spending all that money on a laptop that I'll realistically use predominantly for CSS..

In a perfect world I had in mind a 13-14 inch 2-in-1 laptop with decent specs. It'd be small and light enough that I could bring it into college as needed, and then to game at home I was planning on rigging up an external wall-mounted monitor in my room for gaming and watching shows etc.

18. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

People buy cars that go faster than the speed limits. ;)

I think it will be hard to find a good 2in1 laptop as most are designed to be lightweight so gaming might not be all that.

19. SenorPedro

SenorPedro Member
    Super User

Touché.

Yeah I've given up on that idea, the only thing holding me back from that Dell laptop is that it isn't great for transporting to and from college if and when i need to. And this laptop will probably have to last me the rest of my college duration.

20. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

XPS comes in 13" too but then they start soldering components like RAM to save space and it wont be a gaming laptop anymore without a proper gaming GPU and cooling. Cooling requires a lot of space in a laptop but XPSes are have aluminum outer shell so that cools it down a bit.

You will have to give up portability if you are thinking of gaming on it. Or give up gaming for ease of transport.