mg_aNimals_course

Discussion in 'Source SDK / Map developement' started by aNimal, Jul 31, 2014.

1. aNimal

aNimal Member
    Donator

Hey guys, so I've decided to creating a course for mg. Now its very early stages as you may be able to tell from this super-amazing-blow-your-balls-off-awesome screenshot:

[​IMG]

But at the moment I'm lacking in ideas for traps, i have a few thoughts running through my head but not enough to create a course of any substantial length. I would be very much appreciative if any of you could offer some suggestions for traps. I'm really striving to create something original here so if there is anything you have ever wanted to see in a course but haven't yet - or you think you have an/any idea(s) that would fit well into a course and would make for an interesting WR leaderboard, please suggest them =D

Thanks, aNimal.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. mKay98

mKay98 Veteran Member

i don't play mg so i don't know the maps there but you could add wipeout, jumprope,colors, breakfloor, dodgeball, idk

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver The Experienced
    Retired Member

@animaL_ I think you should first come up with an interesting theme and stick to it before thinking about specific traps.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. aNimal

aNimal Member
    Donator

A course doesn't necessarily need a "theme" ^^

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. suRpr1zE

suRpr1zE Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

Please for the love of god no moving platforms.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. aNimal

aNimal Member
    Donator

There wont be, this'll be a map which requires skill, not timing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Wheatley

Wheatley Member

x) cant wait to fail hard at it :D, gratz buddy

• Repost Repost x 1
  8. Steven Seagal

Steven Seagal Member

hi james

i agree with surprize, you definitely cannot put anything in that means you have to leave at a certain time, because this is poverty

I set about trying to make a mg skill map, but then i thought, what makes mg, mg?

well, its the sv_acceleration 10

as we all know, sv_acceleration 10 is the master race acceleration, the true acceleration, one cannot touch god with half the acceleration (5), you must use 10

we know that acceleration 10 brings new somehow magical things into the game (perhaps this was god's intentions?)

wallrunning
    wiggling
    ability to start running much faster after jumping
    and unknown to most, (only true mgers know, THE SWAG RUN)

i started to make a map, where it tested your limits with these technicalities, where you have to be so intune with the way of mg, to truly get a good time, no nonsense bhop, no retarded remsopor stuff, no noobs course rage (1try every 2ish minutes),

just a map where you could start at any time, and just do mg movement, like a bhop_yonkomononoa of mg

surprize has the bsp (no idea what it was called), although the textures are off (didnt use pakrat), the concept is there, if hes willing to give it to you it may help convey what i'm trying to say. although i think my grammar and use of proper english and those capital letters have conveyed what i mean

although that isn't required, i think a true mg map would be something that would

A) START AT ANYTIME, no fucking waiting
    B) HAVE THE THINGS FROM PRISON THAT TRY AND CHOP YOU UP, THOSE ARE REALLY GOOD MAKE LIKE 20 IN A ROW (Really fucking fun when you learn to run through them all, literally just c+p like 5 times pls)
    C) MEDIUM DIFFICULTY, NOT EASY NOT HARD CAPICHE?
    D) BE NICE TO LOOK AT, NEEDS SOME SORT OF THEME, DEV MIGHT BE OKAY, BUT DO IT LIKE SQEE, DONT USE THE ONES WITH LINES
    E) DOESN'T KILL YOU, TELEPORTS YOU TO START IF YOU FAIL (arguable, but imo its less stressful)
    F) HAVE A DISCO AT THE END <- crucial

peace

[​IMG]
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 2, 2014, Original Post Date: Aug 2, 2014 ---
    but no seriously, imagine running through like 20/30 or even 100 of those prison things like a fucking ninja

it cannot not be done?

no?

i actually still have quite alot of files ( i spent more time than you know mapping), which could be helpful, ive got many uncompleted projects and just a general ton of stuff, a remake of a knifemultifix map, various courses, a few mg concepts, and whatnot. add me on my other account (uaced) if you want to speak to me,

peace2.0

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. aNimal

aNimal Member
    Donator

It's funny you mentioned yonkoma, that's exactly the type of thing i was going for...

I've decided however that failing will result in death and not a teleport, i'm not looking to create anything majorly time consuming. I settled on an approximate 4-5 min WR.

I'm gonna try and incorporate the atmosphere in maps like yonkoma / benchmark with classic mg features. Love it or hate it, there will be easier traps near the beginning for the newer players, these are probably gonna be things like breaking platforms, spinning blades etc.

Just to give you an idea of the textures and look

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  10. iCeMan!

iCeMan! Member

I am not really experienced on mg but i am decent so i can tell you that it would be good at add some troll rooms because no course has any and it would really fun i people died in dumb ways.Like making a room which has a button and if u press it the door closes and the walls just come closer and smash you.Courses are pretty standard on how u complete them but i would say u would add a room with many lazers like they ones where u see on movies when people try to steal banks etc.DO NOT add moving platforms.Btw u are really good at mg^-^

11. Steven Seagal

Steven Seagal Member

I like the textures, the one that sqee and so many others use are actually quite interesting, it's worth decompiling and looking at how that works with lighting. I actually have a 80% converted kegs course with me totally redesigning it but keeping the coloured lighting and it's fucking cool. The way that all these yonkomononoa maps work with colours, and colours having meaning is very good and might be worth adhering too.

So long as you try and make it fair for everyone no matter the timing its fine I think.

If you dedicate it to the acceleration 10 however, you can really focus the mapping. For example

In my map I had the idea of a training ground too at the spawn (I was obviously going for acceleration 10 default), and literally explaining what you can do with acceleration 10, so I was going to have 3 areas each with diagrams explaining what to do. (You know those floating letter texture thingies you see)

1) Wiggling, you can have this by trying to beat a moving platform or a timelimit, without any jump height. W
    2) Wallrunning, same thing
    3) Longjumps etc. (accel 10 longjump room zomg)

That's if you are making it yonkonokoma/benchmark unlimited spawn

I'm now going to input some trap mad brainthink paint magic pictures. I'll think about some more because I really want you to succeed as I have no discipline to finish maps.

[​IMG]

totally unnecessary, came out worse than i thought it would, goodluck man,

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. aNimal

aNimal Member
    Donator

Steven you keep picking up on things that i'm already thinking about and trying, but I'm awful at lighting so that's gonna take a long time in itself, longer than making the map itself probably lmao.

13. Steven Seagal

Steven Seagal Member

[​IMG]
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 3, 2014, Original Post Date: Aug 3, 2014 ---
    [​IMG]

14. Wheatley

Wheatley Member

Tested it today, a few things to edit, but it's going great so far, can't wait to try it when its done :)

15. aNimal

aNimal Member
    Donator

You tested a small part at the start that has been completely re-worked, there is nothing more to edit.

And on another note, if anyone is interested i re-did the colour scheme, the only things that are now blue will be areas safe to walk on over traps and whatnot. Also, indents into the floor are in the blue colour are to signify where the trigger_hurt 's are located, though it should hopefully be obvious regardless.

Regarding the acceleration, at the moment i am focusing on making this for 10 accel. My priority is getting it onto the ]HeLL[ mg server first.
    If i find the time later i may go back and shorten traps and jumps and things and stuff to make it work for 5 accel.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 4, 2014, Original Post Date: Aug 4, 2014 ---
    New Screenshots - Ignore the weird lighting in some parts

Spawn :
    [​IMG]
    First room :
    [​IMG]
    Some Anti-Grav Bars :
    [​IMG]
    A big trigger_push upwards because why the hell not :
    [​IMG]

If you wanna have a try and get a feel for the map : https://www.mediafire.com/?jw9a02w275t184s

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Raphi

Raphi Member
    Mapper

I'm really bad in course so it's really hard for me

Just one thing :p
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. aNimal

aNimal Member
    Donator

Haha thanks Raphi, but i fixed that a few days ago :p

18. Steven Seagal

Steven Seagal Member

So when is the beta release?

19. aNimal

aNimal Member
    Donator

Not for a while steven.

I've taken a break from it, i got really bored and burnt out over it.

20. Raphi

Raphi Member
    Mapper

Ah, sorry for yesterday aNimal, she spotted me ahaha
    So, for you screenshot, it look like only textures.
    Do the texture with photoshop or gimp.
    Use vtfedit to convert it to vmf / vmt
    One thing, i think there is a line for the "fluorescence" (is it a good word in english ?)
    Try to open some VMT with the effect of fluorescence, copy/past some line to found which one is doing this effect, and it will be fine ;)

• Useful Useful x 1