1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deathrun Server

Discussion in 'Maps' started by Nomy, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Steviee

Steviee The Experienced
    Donator

Myles and Myself have been testing a few of the current maps on Deathrun. This is the conclusion we came too;

For Removal:

deathrun_holyshit_hardmode_v2

Reason being the original is already a very long map. Adding it hardmode creates an even longer wait time + It isn't very noob friendly and we feel DR needs new players.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

deathrun_zerochance_fix
    The map is WAY too long and the traps are too big. This map is near impossible to complete if you cannot bhop. Takes atleast 5 mins to complete on average with a good T and mashing "A" and "D". Very bhopper friendly, but too long.

[​IMG]

deathrun_tombraider_v1
    We came to the conclusion that this map is more like a course. The T has virtually no buttons to press as most of these traps are automatic. A very hard map, not for DR noobs. Requires good timing, we only came to this decision purely on the fact that the T doesn't really play a decent role.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All of the above are not traps are not able to be pressed by the T.

deathrun_babylon_in2
    Needs removal, as soon as this map comes on the server, everyone leaves. The AFK killer is constantly chasing you right from the start, fairly fast aswell. There are to many too many Floor Breaker parts in the map and it is not a map for noobs. Only experienced players generally can complete it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

deathrun_pro_final
    Too many traps for how long the map is, all tightly squeezed together, loads of floor breaker parts, very hard for players who are new to DR (and nearmost impossible with a good T.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deathrun_end_of_the_line
    We ended up removing this map too because the missing map bug would constantly come up, but once the server finally did load the map, it would crash the server.

[​IMG]

ALL THE MAPS ABOVE ARE REMOVED, FEEL FREE TO POST BELOW IF YOU HAVE REASON FOR ANY OF THESE TO BE ADDED BACK.

Added:

http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/143443
    Deathrun_mario_v1

http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/90145
    Deathrun_dust_b3

http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/148218
    Deathrun_Solar_V3

Big thanks to @Dino-Rawr and @Redhawk for helping us test these new maps!

If you have any questions please contact Myles or Myself regarding these new maps, Regarding the maps removed, thanks to the mappers in the community who put hard work into making these maps, we had alot of fun on them!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Drain

Drain Senior Member
    Donator

Would have loved to help you guys out with it, would have been fun c:

Goodjob on the maps guys.

3. Chris

Chris The Experienced
    ]HeLL[ Member

IMO some of them maps remove are the whole point of "death run"?

Babylon for example has been on the server for as long as I remember, yeah the "afk" killer is fast but it's to stop you waiting around and makes the rounds faster, we should have more maps like this tbh instead of just straight line bhop shit

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Drain

Drain Senior Member
    Donator

Tried babylon out, it's an acutal challenge but tbh, it's just simply to hard to complete which makes it an instant rtv. If the rtv doesn't get completed, they just start to leave. I like challenges, but not everybody does though and that's probably the reason why it's removed.

Edit: Also about bhop, you are right chris mate. Some maps are just going straight forward which make the t's get so much speed, espically jump smoke, he were faster than me while i had that t speed buff.
    But the majoraty of people just wanna play a normal game of deathrun which doesn't apply running like a bull. But yeah, i get your point and it's also a great point. IMO, if the mapmaker made the afk killer a bit slow, then the new people could have a chance since not all people are perfect at bhop, strafe run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steviee

Steviee The Experienced
    Donator

We are aware of this, we know Deathrun has become predominantly about bhop, Me and Myles will try to add lots of maps (maybe even trying to make a few) that are challenging, but not all about bhop. The maps which were added last night defend this as the Mario one can be pretty challenging and none of them are particularly "bhopper friendly."

6. Arya

Arya Veteran Member
    Retired Member

First post in this thread, dunno if the fps still gives troubles?

7. Steviee

Steviee The Experienced
    Donator

It's been updated, I saw this but there is no more FPS issues.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Myles

Myles The Experienced
    Retired Member

Babylon was not a very popular map and from what drain said it just got rtv'd as soon as it was on, if it didn't change then people leave. If people want it back it's not a problem :) but it is a server killer

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. suRpr1zE

suRpr1zE Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

Apologies for the late reply but I was inactive when this was going down. I have strong opinions about some of the maps removed, particularly about babylon.

I really don't see how your argument is valid. You come across a map where the T doesn't have a lot of traps to press concerning the amount of traps in the map, and call it more of a minigame obstacle course map? The amount of buttons to press versus how many traps there are does not define DR maps, and certainly not course maps either.

This is a DeathRun map because there is a specific T or T's that have a role to play, which is to kill the CT's using traps. And there are by the way a total of 9 traps I could activate myself (in single player) after testing it, which is about the same number of traps you can't press. Then there's an end whereas the surviving CT gets a machine gun to hunt down the T and kill him. Oldschool DR ending. How is this map more like a course?

Not to mention this map is cleverly constructed and with a good theme, a well made map with good trap placements. Should be put back on.

I really don't like it when people say something along the lines of: "When this map comes on, everybody rtv's it or leaves". You generalize something entirely and call it a fact. I love this map. It was (not anymore...) one of the oldest maps on the server. I used to play DR all the time before I found MG, and this map, back in the day before we had a JB server, was widely played and appreciated. There are many factors of this map which are totally unique, like the flying bird coming towards you and sweeping all of the boxes with him, or the exciting ending where you gotta throw a nade into a hole to actually open it. Old map with more creative traps than DR maps that are being made today.

It's all well and good that you take the noobs into account but be fair to the experienced ones too. There's a saying, practice makes perfect, which is applicable to this situation here. If players fall through the breakfloors, they will learn to watch out for them. If the afk killer catches up with them, they will learn to move faster. I can remember well known skilled MG regulars that joined the server from 2-3 years ago that were noobs. Now they're recognized on the server as skilled known players, just by playing. Point I'm making with that story is that players will learn the ropes as they play.

Then as Chris said, this map isn't a straight line for bhoppers. It's a spiral up a huge tower with many obstacles and traps to delay you. And as the server is right now, it does not matter if players rtv it/leave when it comes on. We are actually in more need of maps than we are of removing them right now.

The only good point you make there is that it's very hard for players that are less experienced. The other "points" you make are you just describing the map. Read it from another angle, remove the 'Too' in the beginning and you're looking at an okay description of the map. What's bad about it? The more traps the merrier and the closer they are the less bhop there is. And I don't recall many floor breaker parts, 3 I think? I could be mistaking but they aren't many.

This is a fun map to play on, the atmosphere is nice and you get an oldschool vibe from it for older players, some traps could be considered creative/unique (meaning there aren't many of them in other DR maps) and overall it's a challenging, nice map. I don't see any point of removing it.

Admittedly, Steviee and Myles, the points you made would make more sense if the server was actually active. But for the moment it is not, therefore I think these 3 maps should be put back on unless I am given better arguments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Myles

Myles The Experienced
    Retired Member

Babylon:
    the map itself I agree is well made but the game play on it is very boring, a lot of people complain when it is on, I have seen little people complete the map and It just gets rtv'd when it comes on. When there are not a lot of people on the server it just drains it, I spoke to other DR regs and they gave their own opinions about it mainly saying the game play was bad and was not enjoyable. Which makes me see the map as unfit for the server.

Tomb raider:
    Map again very well made but same again not very often it got completed, people would get annoyed with it and leave because they struggle with the map or rtv it, also not all traps are T controlled which I think defeats the aim of having a T, how many traps are T controlled and not i'm not sure I didn't count. I enjoyed Tomb Raider but again I asked for others opinions as it makes it fair decision and most replies I got were that it was a hard map and only experienced players who played it often could maybe finish it, but as it got rtv'd a lot made it a bit hard.

Pro_Final
    Once again it got rtv'd after a couple of rounds and was a very hard map, a lot of people mainly new players didn't have the time and patience to learn it and got frustrated with it again causing them to leave/rtv. This got mixed opinions as some enjoyed the map but as it was not played long enough to get to know it as well as where the traps were and how they worked. Others said the map was just to hard and that they had not finished it before or very few times and the end would be a T stuck in a class cage with a ct having awps giving little choices of endings.

With the small amount of players there are on DR, having people leave when these maps come on ruin it for others as there are fewer players on, which just leads to an emptier server quicker.

I personally think the maps that were removed were done rightfully, also with help from the people evaluating the maps at the time we were and opinions from others helped to come to this conclusion.

Having others opinions would also help, but just a thought maybe one night we get the maps back on and get a lot on the server to play them and give their views?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lux

Lux Veteran Member

I personally think we should keep all maps on the server for now until we reach a larger playerbase with more opinions because right now I honestly think it's stupid to make decisions based on few opinions. Also it's better to value active deathrun players' opinions more than active JB, Surf e.g players.

PS: I exclude maps with like fps problems etc.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steviee

Steviee The Experienced
    Donator

You say we should value DR players, but the opinions have came completely from DR players. (No offence to surp from not being a dr player)

We asked Smoke, Renaud, Pro_Cat and others.

Removing these maps is in the favour of DR players...

13. Boy

Boy Administrator

I dont see a problem for these maps to stay on the server tbh, if it really is about the "DR players" then they have a choice to not vote for these maps when they are on.. Besides I dont think 4-5 players represent the DR server.

Lets give more suggestions to add maps rather than removing em.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Steviee

Steviee The Experienced
    Donator

Hey man, I don't want to sound at all cheeky, so please don't take this the wrong way :)

I completely agree with the fact that 4-5 players don't represent DR, but at the current time, it seems we are the only 5 that seem to be on the server on a regular basis with players we've never heard of.

I also wanted to say, Lux+Boy, Have you played either of these maps before? I completely respect both of your opinions that we should add maps, which I think is great, but keeping maps in the server that are constantly not wanting to be played by players and rtv'd? I don't think that's a good idea.

I'm going out now, but once I'm back I'll make a detailed post about each map and why they should be removed.

@suRpr1zE if you're free tomorrow night, We could go through these maps and Me and @Myles could explain what we mean and we could come to an agreement.

Just so you guys know, I love every opinion on this subject so please keep them coming as it helps us understand. :)

15. suRpr1zE

suRpr1zE Administrator

For all 3 of these maps @Myles you repeated the same thing over and over again, that people get bored or annoyed over it, the map is hard, hard for noobs, only pros can do it, it gets rtv'ed, gameplay was bad, these regs said the same, not often completed. I mean, you didn't really address anything I said except that you agreed the maps are well made.

Now I do agree that if maps are being rtv'ed then that's something to look at for removal but these maps have more reason to stay than they do being removed. For example Babylon was one of the oldest maps on the server, it's history. It's nice to keep it on.

I really don't think that all the things you mentioned Myles are valid as an argument to remove the maps because the server is already so empty. Your arguments would be valid if it had a regular player base, like JB or MG. If there are such a low number of players on at a time, then there's no hassle to rtv the map to a map that small group wants to play on, right? Why remove them based on the opinions of that small group of players? What if they would be popular when the server population boosts?

It's just so unnecessary to remove them, honestly.

I thought that the map was removed purely due to the fact that you guys thought it was more like a "course" because of the lack of traps the T could activate...?
    And I counted 9 traps that the T could activate, which is about the same as many traps he can't activate.

16. Boy

Boy Administrator

I just didn't find any good reason to remove a map if its too hard.. Too easy and short? yea sure, but too long and hard and more traps, etc may not be your choice but I personally would prefer them. And also like suprize said, removing maps would make more sense if there was a solid player base.

Have a look at the removed maps from before in the thread and see the reasons either they are for updated versions or for some major bugs which couldnt be fixed.

17. Steviee

Steviee The Experienced
    Donator

At the end of the day guys, there is no point my arguing when ultimately I am going to lose, It's your server, therefore your decision.

When deathrun DID have players, Me and Myles we're on near enough 2+ hours at least each day. ever since I've started playing deathrun these maps have been hated and insta rtv'd by everyone (including myself.) Yes, it may be the fact that it's not been given a chance, but they're making people either leave, or just rtv.

Re-add them back and it will just be the same situation either way where they just don't get played and this applies for all of them.

Myles and Myself spent a whole evening judging this. We went on with something like 8 maps in-which we thought we'd removed but ended up playing every single one to the end and decided to keep most because they have their attributes. I'd strongly recommend you guys that are defending the maps to have one last look at the maps to make a final decision.

I think Myself and Myles both stand by our decision that as deathrun players, we don't care for these maps (at all) but of course, if you want them back that's completely out of my hands. I'll link this thread to some other deahtrun regs in the hope they will respond as the DR community does not care for any of these.

This post is not to belittle anyone, but neither of us would like to see these back, purely because none of them are fun. At the end of the day you want to enjoy a map.

Just because a map has history, doesn't make it fun. Just because a map is unique, doesn't make it fun. Also, if a T wants to have a go at trying to kill a server with only nine traps then getting shot by an m249 at the end, who would want to go T? I wouldn't.

Tomorrow, I'll ask Myles if we can re-test these maps, then post more evidence for their removals, it may be the fact that there was only the two of us testing.

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Marcus

Marcus Veteran Member
    Donator

As long as you don't remove Deluxe , you can do whatever you want.

19. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

Steviee you don't have to argue, the main goal is to have good set of maps in the end, nobody is doubting that you wanted to improve the server.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Myles

Myles The Experienced
    Retired Member

Maps added:

CubX http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/172199

Rocketending http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/171991

Texture extreme http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/171825

Harhar http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/171467

Drop http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/169987

Environment http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/167914
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 13, 2015, Original Post Date: Feb 13, 2015 ---
    @Nomy could you add this update of CubX please? I had to fix some bugs on it :) rghost was not working at the time.

http://www.filedropper.com/deathruncubxhell

• Like Like x 3