1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Stay In School

Discussion in 'Videos' started by mKay98, Feb 28, 2015.

1. mKay98

mKay98 Veteran Member

2. Lino

Lino Veteran Member
    Donator

This guy. He didn't even make a good argument... Using the fact you have a calculator as an excuse not to learn maths? wtf?
    I don't even know how to respond, some people just need more respect for the fact that they have an education, I never asked why I was learning english or maths, I was just happy that I was taking in all this knowledge, and that hopefully one day I would be able to understand where it all came from.
    The song is shit too and he can't rap to save his life.
    Once again, the video is a load of shit

3. DaNiNeX

DaNiNeX The Experienced

Its music, which is art, his art, his opinion like everyone else's, respect it because no one is telling you to take that as advice or anything.
    Dont need to go on a rampage about a song someone made based on his opinion about education lol, everyone just explodes for nothing now..

4. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

@Lino

There is another guy:

5. Lino

Lino Veteran Member
    Donator

I prefere this other guy, but I still have disagreements with the arguments he used about people "dropping out".

And @DaNiNeX

I get what you're saying, but he's bullshitting the video. and bullshit can be very convincing, he's presenting his opinion as though it is a truth, but it is not. He should state words such as "I think", then I would see your point more credible.

6. DaNiNeX

DaNiNeX The Experienced

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Lino

Lino Veteran Member
    Donator

The thing is...

In the uk, school is quite diverse, obviously they can't adapt the education system for each indivual child, so for the first few years they teach every kid the basics, they adapt the difficulty of the knowledge learnt to how well you respond to tests, so that you move at a pace which is good for yourself, this happens till year 8, because there's a shit tone of information to go through, and obviously they want to cover as much as possible so that everyone can glimpse at where they possibly want to be.

Then at year 9, you start aiming towards more specific subjects, from graphics to business, which you learn ontop of maths english french etc. At this stage, maths and english etc are still extremely basic. The algebra is simple, it will actually be mathematics and english that you will use in life in general conversation, shopping, etc. Just given fancy names.

It's funny because he says so much that you will "never use this stuff in life", but the truth is you do.

After this, you go onto A Levels, which are fully your decision to what you study, whether it be full art or full maths, nothing is forced upon you. You don't have to do them even...
    So I fail to see where the problem is? How is he complaining about a structure which so many beg to have in their country, maybe he should be focusing on the right to an education in countries that teach "god created everything" still, than places which allow kids to decide for themselves.

8. TrustMe

TrustMe Senior Member
    Donator

@Lino
    he says :
    I wasn't taught how to get a job, pay tax, vote, look after his health, learn about current events, what laws there are, human rights, about money, basic first aid, parenting, mental health issues, political systems & whatever else
    what's wrong with that?

He's opinion is that they're more important then the other stuff he mentioned. & actually his point was to give choice instead of forcing the current curriculum on students.

I actually find that a bit hard to believe.

btw I could've go through you last post and put "I think" before loadsa sentences.......
    (P.S I still love you, don't hate me :h:)

9. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

That statement is wrong. I've never used algebra in a general conversation.

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. TrustMe

TrustMe Senior Member
    Donator

you're so missing out

11. Lino

Lino Veteran Member
    Donator

how to get a job: taugh, I mean honestly, did you not have those sessions where you wrote your CV and had talks in thinking about your future?
    pay tax: did you never firstly learn tax in mathematics, we also had to do a short btec course once a week for an hour to learn tax etc, 30 minutes every day was spent learning current events (form), laws weren't taught as such, but once a year we had the police come in and discuss the law with us, money was taught through the finance module also, basic first aid was taught in primary school... and p.e, parenting was not taught, however sex education is, parenting is a difficult one as most is learnt from observation of how you are looked after yourself. Mental Health issues is one which should be discussed more I have to admit, but again that is something that can only be learnt through experience, but most schools have programmes for mental health issues, I'm sure if you looked around you'd find one. Political systems... government and politics, it's a class that can be taken at high education. and whatever else... Most things are taught in school.

You'll find also that most schools are being upgraded to academies so that these programmes can be funded.

You do have a choice, if you don't want to learn, don't bother learning, ignore the people that just want you to succeed, as much as they try, people can't control your thoughts.

I was referring to the basic algebra used when shopping and blah blah, here's a simple yahoo answers for more https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070529143202AACmF1K

Sorry I guess I should've made it more clear that the gcse grade english was referring to improved vocabulary and dictation in general conversation, and the mathematics and algebra was referring to the shopping scenario.

12. TrustMe

TrustMe Senior Member
    Donator

He says:, (not me says).
    Different schools, different times, different curriculums.

I wasn't saying I wasn't taught those things, I was just arguing against your response to the video, but actually I wasn't taught most of that stuff too so can relate.
    I disagree when he says 'my childhood was wasted', but do agree that the topics he brought up should be taught if they aren't, & more focus should be spent on those subjects where they are taught.

I was only pretending to be sarcastic. i got 98% in my maths sitting gcse , and my sis is a maths teacher, we regularly talk maths shit...

13. GeorgeLAD

GeorgeLAD The Experienced
    Donator

I was too focused on his hair to hear what he was saying

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. nic

nic Member
    Donator

Lino, whilst you and I might have been taught all of what he is saying it doesn't mean everyone else in the UK is/was. I was actually extremely fortunate in that I have acquired a basic understanding in everyone of those topics that he listed, however I digress.

On the other hand, those of you arguing against Lino, what would you suppose to "fix" the education system? As much as it has its flaws now, it seems to be doing a fairly decent job.

• Like Like x 1