1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jb_new_summer_hell_v1

Discussion in 'Source SDK / Map developement' started by Wazblaz, Jul 14, 2020.

?

Would you like to see this replace the original version

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. No - The old map should never be changed.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. No - I think this new version needs more work.

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. Wazblaz

Wazblaz Veteran Member
    Mapper Donator

Hi all,

Got myself back into mapping so decided to dig into new summer and make some small changes. Will see what peoples reactions are of it here before implementing.

I understand the map is fun for Terrorists as it is, so the changes below should not take away from that too much, just give CT's slightly more option.

I don't plan on changing much more as I don't want to take too much away from what the map already is. All secrets, vents and games remain the same.

I'd love to have the map on the server to playtest but come here to get opinions first. If it doesn't sit well with the community, then we can just keep the original version - I haven't spent long enough on this to be hurt by hate :p

Change #1:
    New Exit from cells - this is an alternative method for CTs to command T's out of cells. This is particularly useful when trying to deal with a large crowd as the corridors are narrow.

To open the door, there is a toggle button, located in change #2. This door cannot be opened by pressing E, so T's cannot just run out of it chaotically. ​
    [​IMG]

Change #2:
    Open plan viewing area with access from cells - I've knocked the walls out to open up the top room that looks onto cells from the catwalk. This also houses an additional cell button, and the button to toggle the large cell door. There is now a ladder in front of the armoury stairs to get up to this spot.​
    [​IMG]

Change #3:
    Access from volleyball to dodgeball - Because of the new cell area door, I've parted the fence separating football from the volleyball area. This now allows more freedom of games to be played. Instead of CT's getting stuck either colours or football side of the map (Because it's largely too difficult to get the T's through the corridor a second time).
    [​IMG]

Change #4:
    Removed end of round bomb - Although exciting sometimes if a round has been quick and successful, I feel that because of how T sided the map is, by the time you get the T's to a game, you have not much time before it goes dark and the nuke comes. I've kept the day to night feature but removed the nuke so we can continue the round like any other map.​

• Like Like x 9
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Repost Repost x 1
  2. Doctor CPU

Doctor CPU Senior Member
    Donator

I understand that these were quick compiles but i feel as if some of the improve ments could be implemented a bit better.

3. kenny7

kenny7 The Experienced
    Donator

Great changes Waz, can't wait to test the map. Although it seems like the map has more advantage now for the CTs, Or am I wrong?

4. Wazblaz

Wazblaz Veteran Member
    Mapper Donator

Only way to really test is to playtest, of course but,

-The new door is effectively a wall until it's opened, so T's can still rebel like they do normally.
    -The original cell buttons (next to cells) remain there so T's can still open it like normal.
    -The new passage from football to volleyball still has the dirt you can dig to get the gun under the fence, and T's can also run around to the metal armoury door and get in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GeorgeLAD

GeorgeLAD The Experienced
    Donator

I like the ideas but I feel as though this may make it even harder for CT's to command?

- The new exit from cells is nice, but its right next to vent cell, could be chaotic.

- The ladder up to that area now gives Ts a seperate way to rebel, now they can choose to rebel either through 4 corners, armoury stairs or that ladder. It's also easier for anyone who gets to the famas tower in that area to see all the CTs in cell area, instead of just risking coming out through that tiny door 'blind' as such. The again, the CT's can see the T in famas tower very easily now, rendering it pretty useless.

- Once you get out through the new exit the ladder to roof is right next to it, could also be chaotic if CTs are not aware.

I don't know how hard this is to do, but it could be worth removing four corners and that famas tower completely, and putting the new exit there instead. This would of course effect the maps gameplay massively, just a thought.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WildFire

WildFire Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

Couple of suggestions:

Fix Mancannon for fun
    Put my name on a sign somewhere because I'm cool

Other than this would like to test the map to see how it looks. Good job!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. Waleed

Waleed Senior Member
    Donator

if 10 or 20 voted yes then there is hundreds more in the community that they dont want that change Summer is a known rebelen map why would we change it? why don't we change spy4spy too? if you'r gonna add that map then please don't remove the old one. There will be no fun for me for others playing as a T anymore if the old one gets removed.

But that is a great edit @Wazblaz well done :)

8. Ara Ara

Ara Ara Member

Removed.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. IPman

IPman Member

i like the changes but i like the nuke to stay for fast rounds

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ge0➆

Ge0➆ Member
    Donator

This map is a love to hate map by almost everyone.There are CT-sided maps,there are T-sided and there is no reason to balance every map.Its good to have 'different' and unique maps as it gives a lot of options to choose so people wont get bored.This map getting voted when its nominated and its one of the best maps on Jb.There is a reason people vote for this map.
    I often listen this: "People vote for this map just because the most players are Ts,CTs dont vote for this map because they cant control it"
    Thats not true.Only times i play CT is on T-sided maps when its difficult to control the Ts,because you have a lot of things to do,you always have to run and take risks.Its amazing how this map keeps busy everyone,Ts or CTs.This is how you can be a better CT,better warden etc.
    I dont say that everymap should be like that,as i said above we should have a lot of options on maps.But atleast we can have just 1 as T-sided as this.

@Wazblaz You're doing good job,but instead of looking for changes on this map(in order to make it more balanced),start working on changes on maps that are not so overplayed and they have potential to be good with a few changes.So instead of having 5-7 popular maps,we can have 10.

The only change i would agree on new_summer is add more games.
    For example: When the time comes for evacuation,we teleport to that place that has nothing to do and you just wait until the 2nd explosion.So instead of that add 1-2 games there(since it has good space for) and change the 2nd explosion to never.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. RandomGlitch

RandomGlitch Senior Member
    Donator

I like the pathway between football and volleyball a lot as the main issue with the map is only 1 game at most being played per round due to the corridors like you say. I don't think the map needs to change fundamentally however.

Yes it's rebel heavy but it's 100% manageable with some tactful commands and CTs that pay attention, not every map needs to be easy to commands ts on and it would be boring if this was the case.

12. J.Gatsby

J.Gatsby Member
    Donator

Loving the additions Waz. Can't wait to test it out.

Great to have you back and mapping too. Holy dreamscape batman

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jacob ™

Jacob ™ Senior Member
    Donator

Thing with making changes to maps, they will never have the effect you ideally want.

Now thats not saying you havent made positive changes here. Im exited to playtest the map to see how these small changes will effect the gameplay.

I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of Ts sprint for the ladder and get shot but thats all fun too.

14. Ara Ara

Ara Ara Member

Removed.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  15. kenny7

kenny7 The Experienced
    Donator

Honestly now reading through the comments, why not just leave the nuke? It can come handy when we need fast rounds since sometimes rounds can take 20-30 minutes.

Also, maybe you can remove the auto-kill when we use the teleporter to the safe zone. So Ts can do LR there for example? I don't know why but, I'm just giving some ideas.

I think the best way to find out what is good and what is not good, is by testing the map itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Suicide

Suicide Senior Member

I think its hard to change a classic map, but I think you did good on some parts. Most of the things I disagreed with have been mentioned already.

Would want to test and see how the map works out compared to the normal summer.

Dont worry @Wazblaz , the people disliking your edit are the shit rebels that want to get a kill on T side for once. Or just the people that enjoy waiting in cell area for their round to be fucked by other Ts and to start over again, and over and over and over.

All in all nice edit man keep it going, and what is said already, maybe try to better some maps that are barely played for whatever reason.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Steezus

Steezus The Experienced
    Retired Member Mapper

Maybe extending the nuke instead of removing completely. I like how it adds a sense of urgency to the rounds. Its something unique about summer (probably the only thing I like about the map :D)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. WildFire

WildFire Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

Maybe look at buffing the stair well so CTs can manage it better, there's Bhop, Guntoss and race down there that no one uses because of how easy it is to rebel that way with the 2 Vents. That'd be cool.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Brandon

Brandon The Experienced
    ]HeLL[ Member

How's this project going? Looks interesting :wasntme:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sucheme

Sucheme Junior Member

I feel like if you actually wanted wardens to do different games you should widen the main hallway and make disco larger. Wardens will just use that new exit to get to the same games faster.

• Agree Agree x 1