1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4:3 Stretched Resolution / Sensitivity

Discussion in 'Counter-Strike Source Chat' started by TrustMe, Dec 24, 2018.

1. TrustMe

TrustMe Senior Member
    Donator

If you play on 4:3 stretched, your monitor stretches the pixels horizontally & vertically which results in the game looking slightly blurry compared to your native resolution. You can make the game less blurry & more crisp by adding a custom resolution in your graphics card settings which will only stretch the pixels horizontaly and a keep 4:3 resolution. v

Also, if you do choose to play on 4:3 stretched, your mouse won't have the same 1:1 movement horizontally & vertically (the vertical will be at a lower sensitivity). To fix this you need to change the horizontal mouse sensitivity (changing vertical is sv_cheats protected) from default m_yaw 0.022 to m_yaw 0.0165. This will make it 1:1 ratio on screen. Doing this however will lower you horizontal mouse sensitivity so you will need to multiply your ingame mouse sensitivity by 1.3333 to get the sensitivity you're using now (so if you use 2 sensitivity, change it to 2.6666)

Iv'e done this mouse change on CSS & CSGO a few days ago & can definitely see an improvement. For the longest time i've noticed there was a problem aiming if someone was higher or lower than me (especially if they were moving sideways). For example; on dust2 if i were at lower tunnel & someone was walking down short i would die most of the time, and it had to do with aiming diagonally and not having 1:1 mouse sensitivity.

It also helps with spray control on CSGO. If you imagine trying to draw a spray control line when your mouse isn't 1:1 ratio it will be a lot more harder than if it were 1:1.
    Basically without this fix, if you wanted to draw a diagonal line 45 degrees on screen (say from one corner of a square to the other), on your mouse pad you would have to move roughly 34 degrees diagonally and also move your mouse slightly more vertically than horizontally. So where you want to move your crosshair on screen isnt what you would do with your mouse.
    You can see how this would be bad for you aim....

TL;DR
    if you're using 4:3 stretched, change to m_yaw 0.165 & multiply ingame mouse sensitivity by 1.3333 to get 1:1 horizontal/vertical mouse movement

Yours Sincerly,
    Most feared aim 2018
    Best overal player 2018

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

Nice tip. I think people hardly play on 4:3 res these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. TrustMe

TrustMe Senior Member
    Donator

yea, i thought it would be like 1 in a 50 who use 4:3, but there was like 6-7 out of 30ish just earlier on JB

4. Jan

Jan The Experienced
    Donator

U get better fps by using 4:3

5. TrustMe

TrustMe Senior Member
    Donator

I play 4:3 cos enemy player models are wider, which makes it way easier to get headshots imo,
    (i dont really see any difference from changing any sort of graphic settings, maybe 5-10 fps change from highest setting to lowest. i guess it's cos i'm slightly gpu bound)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver The Experienced
    Retired Member

The resolution has no impact on how your mouse input translates into angular motion in-game. However, the 4:3 stretched resolution gives you a smaller FOV so that everything looks wider. That also means that turning horizontally will look faster than turning vertically, but it's actually completely the same as at any other aspect ratio.

7. TrustMe

TrustMe Senior Member
    Donator

all i know is, if i want to draw something with my mouse, i want it to do it on screen....

8. Soul Reaver

Retired Member

True, if you adjust your m_yaw a 45° diagonal mouse movement will translate to something that looks like a 45° movement on your screen. But it will be in fact a steeper angle, like 60° (just a guess :p). You have to remember that the stretched resolution also makes other horizontal movements look faster, most importantly enemies moving across your view. By changing m_yaw you bring in more inconsistencies. In the end, playing with stretched will take time to take used to no matter if you change m_yaw or not.

My TL: DR would be: If you just started playing 4:3 stretched, changing m_yaw to 0.165 might help to get used to it. Try it out but it's certainly not a must, might be even worse in the end. If you're already playing with stretched resolution without problems, you probably won't want to mess with this. Easiest way to avoid all this is by not playing on stretched.

9. TrustMe

TrustMe Senior Member
    Donator

as an artist i kinda need what i do with my hand to translate on screen/paper. same goes with aim i guess....
    I can definitely see the improvement in changing to 1:1 with 4:3 res

10. Boy

Boy Administrator

I wouldnt get too comfortable or used to with such settings, you would play shit when it comes to "real" settings or on someone's PC or LAN on a fair platform. No professional CSS or CSGO player does this..

11. TrustMe

TrustMe Senior Member
    Donator

2nd place most feared aim ^

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Boy

Boy Administrator

Yep and lost by far but I aint bothered about that man, time has changed. Grats anyhow.

13. TrustMe

TrustMe Senior Member
    Donator

okay, i was just fukin around.....

They actually do though....
    probably half of pro players play 4:3

14. Soul Reaver

Retired Member

I understand where you are coming from, not saying that it's useless to do this adjustment. Just wanted to point out that it doesn't solve all the issues that come from playing with stretched. It might help some, it might fuck it up even further for others by introducing inconsistencies.

@Boy there are pros who actually do this afaik.

15. Boy

Boy Administrator

Fair enough, and the other half when their aim might be just as good or even better? But that's probably they started playing with such setting from the beginning. Changing your setting just to match some of these "pros" just mean using their mouse sensitivity to be able to play good (which wouldn't work). I think it all comes down to personal preference. There isn't right or wrong setting, is what you are more comfortable with which matters. I guess it might be a tip for new players but I wouldn't recommend changing settings that you are used to already.

16. TrustMe

TrustMe Senior Member
    Donator

i listen to this cos pros listen to it...

17. Boy

Boy Administrator

Nevermind

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

I think the main reason pros really used to play on 4:3 res is because of the CRT monitors back in the days... CRTs were more responsive than LCD monitors.
    Its kinda redundant now since the newer monitors surpass CRTs in many ways.

19. TrustMe

TrustMe Senior Member
    Donator

again, it makes player models wider - so makes it easier to shoot people...
    i actually thought you would both use it or at least get why ppl use it
    (4:3 makes the game easier for me, thats why i use it)

20. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

Of course anyone can use it if they want to. I am not for or against it in any way.