1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Older regulars recognition

Discussion in 'Feedbacks & Suggestions' started by GeorgeLAD, Nov 23, 2018.

1. GeorgeLAD

GeorgeLAD The Experienced
    Donator

Hey everyone,

We have the titles for members who exceed a certain word count on the forums i.e. Junior Member, Veteran Member, The Experienced.

I was talking to a couple of people the other day and we thought it might be nice for the older members of the community to have a banner (or badge) displayed under their name on forums, like the donator tag but a bit rarer, and is an alternative to basing distinguished titles on things other than word count.

I suggest a 'Veteran' or 'Oldie' banner for those who have been on the forums for 5+ years (i.e. joined earlier than November/December 2013) and are still active on either forums or on the server, or both of course. In all honesty I find that this would be a nice achievement for them as there's not many oldies that are active anymore. An even fancier banner could be given to those with 8+ years perhaps (and eventually 10+ and so on), of course the forum start date is 2010 so maybe something special for people with that.

This would be exclusively on forums, nothing affected on server etc. I was trying to think of a few cons for this:

- It might take a bit of time to find the people who are still active and can be linked to a forums account, however like I said there's not a huge amount left, I feel like this can also be solved with a thread where the person puts their name in to see if they'll get accepted.
    - Perhaps some might feel like its unfair if they joined say early 2014 and can't get a tag, as again this is still quite a feat.
    - Shouldn't include banned players (unlike the Donator tag).
    - Whats classed as still active? I'd say a forum presence, or last seen in the past 3 months.

Open to any suggestions/feedback! Maybe alternatives to 'Veteran', and the colour/design of the banner etc. I haven't added a poll because I'd like to see a HeLL members opinion on it first.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Running Dildo

Running Dildo Veteran Member
    Donator

i agree this would be good for players like me and other regs that have been here for many years,

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Awesom-o

Awesom-o Senior Member
    Donator

Registered on forums January 2012..almost 7 years.

Played on the servers for over 8 years which is more than half of some players lives :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jan

Jan The Experienced
    Donator

Most players that have played on the server for a long time did not bother to sign up on forums because we saw no use for it then.
    No reason to brag u noob

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Running Dildo

Donator

i playd since 2010 joined forums after i got banned from zombie hahaha since then i have been here:p.. with 2 accounts first one was Mr][King][ and second is running dildo nice try tho awesome :p

6. GeorgeLAD

Donator

There's the other argument that people may feel annoyed because they played on the servers for years, but didn't join forums until recently, say the last couple of years. I wouldn't know how that would be tackled, it could be based on both forum activity and server time, or just solely forums.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Running Dildo

Donator

Its so sick if you Think about it. We have been playing and knowing eachother for so many years and we are stil here

8. Biggie

Biggie Veteran Member
    Donator

I like this suggestion, I think it's positive to appreciate all players new and old. But it would feel extra neat to get a banner for being here for years. The banner should take in account of the first registration of the player on forums, not playtime.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

It's nice and all but in the end of the day, I would be looking at all the users and then awarding them the new proposed tag? This just creates more tasks for me looking at join dates and bans for a good standing in the community. Not to mention keeping them updated. The donator tag is a one time thing.

Also there are way too many forum banners if we were to include the new one being proposed.

Anyone can see the join date as its printed under the avatar and user profile.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. GeorgeLAD

Donator

I proposed a thread where players could input their name so it would be easier for you, if there's members that don't put their name into it, then it suggests they're not active because they haven't seen the thread?

From what I can see there's 7 available banners, with 2 of them being pretty rare to get (HeLL/Staff member status), meaning there's 5 available to the majority, also there's only 4 people who have the Content Creator tag, Mapper tag and DJ tag. I've not seen anyone with more than 3 of these at one time, most people have 2. Adding an extra 1 doesn't seem that extravagant?

Thanks for the contribution everyone!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

So what if they are active and saw the thread and then after sometime they go inactive and never to be seen again?

3 are max and have always been the case. By introducing this new banner, this will bring to a new max of 4.

For example, Jan would have 4 banners if he was given the new banner and he became PayAdmin again.

12. GeorgeLAD

Donator

True, it would need to be examined again in 6 months or a year to make sure those people are still active.

Sorry Nomy but I can't find a player with 3 banners displayed at the moment? Unless it automatically displays only 2? Also Jan only has 2 at the moment, because he's not PA at the moment, even it was maxed at 3, this is only 1 player out of many.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

No there aren't any at the moment. I never said there are any right now but I said max.

We can forget about site admin and clan member tags as when you get those titles the rest of the banners are dropped.

Now Jan can be a DJ, PA, Donator. All he need to do is get PA. If the new banner was introduced, that will be 4 banners...
    Not only 1 player, you can include GreenThunder as well Everly.

There are other examples that are possibility for example Content Creators.

Lets stick to max 3 and make 4 banner a rarity.

Again, nice idea. But manually checking for user state every 6 months just adds to my tasks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Vengeance

Vengeance Senior Member
    ]HeLL[ Member

Shame this idea didn’t get the green light can understand both sides, just a shame when people spam post meaningless subjects to get there numbers up to get a better member status that people that don’t post much but have contributed with loyalty and lengthy service aren’t rewarded

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Chris

Chris The Experienced
    ]HeLL[ Member

Andy , you was rewarded by seeing my scrumptious face in person and making good friends over the years, all bought together through this community :) you don’t need a poxy banner to show how long you’ve been here , any well known oldie is still remembered

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Vengeance

Vengeance Senior Member
    ]HeLL[ Member

Rewarded or punished are they the same? I agree with what your saying also, I could fill a scrap book with memories from Hell

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. TrustMe

TrustMe Senior Member
    Donator

but everytime you post something it shows a little recognition "banner" with the sign up date...

v down there somewhere

18. Captain Shhhh

Captain Shhhh Member
    Donator

Humm it can be automated as the forum core already detect if you're older than 5 years or no , we can include in that script to add a badge whenever the user don't have X amount ban records , or those who had perma won't get it (this to remove @Running Dildo dream to get it :D :D jk jk xD

This is quite easy and possible , but only in case that you want to edit Xenforo code..

Finally we can just include it , with a bit of coding and thinking
    But reallly the very old regs need something great , they're rare..

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

Totally agree that regs are great and rare, not only old ones but all of em. But I think some here are quite materialistic asking for a tag. As if it's not enough that people actually remember you as old and great reg within this community. But we need a banner to remind everyone regardless of join date as pointed out many times.

It is not a good idea to edit xenforo core code for this. But we have xenforo plugins API which you can look into. You said that it should be easy, maybe you can give it a go.

Basically it should add itself to cron and check for users every 6 month if they are active, have been punished by querying sourcebans db if they have linked a steam account, and are older than 2012 for example, it lets them join a user group. It should also remove inactive, perm banned users from the group. Hope I am not missing anymore conditions.

Since this doesn't solve the max banner issue, the donator banner has to go in favour of this.

I'll pay you for this effort or you can do it free for the community :) let me know via PM and we can discuss further. Of course you can add special code for dildo so he never meets the condition and he'll never get that banner ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Tammahshay ™☆

we should have like a group for old regulars or normal regulars like on some servers