1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State of the quantity and quality of maps on the Minigames Server

Discussion in 'Feedbacks & Suggestions' started by Camwil09, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Camwil09

Camwil09 Junior Member

Hey all,

I don't make threads or use the forums that often, but wanted to talk about the current state of the map selection on the Minigames server (MG)

Unfortunately, having lots of maps on the server can be very bad for server population. Newer players experiencing buggy or very old maps is just one of the problems. Some old maps are great, some are bad. We all have preference, as a guy who has played the MG server for years, I have noticed which maps have brought decline in the playerbase and using the stats provided by HeLL clan I will list maps in ORDER which I believe needs to be removed. These maps can always be used for later events if they are removed from nomination lists as I think these events will actually help the server too.

PLEASE NOTE: this is my opinion, please comment on what I have put together if you disagree)

1. mg_grand_puzzles_f (great map but half the time is bugged, would recommend for an event with an active admin though!)
    2. mg_jeepathon2k (90% of the time the vehicles are extremely buggy, the other 10% is buggy but playable)
    3. mg_aquaman (not really an mg map, pretty bad map)
    4. mg_mythic_flag_v3s
    5. mg_mk_colosseum_x (bugged map 50% of the time and is hardly played as its just pushing with a knife)
    6. mg_lucky_turn
    7. mg_hold_your_balance
    8. mg_polar_panic_2
    9. mg_smashfloor_v3
    10. mg_100traps_v3 (controversal great course map, however it take forever and most the playerbase leaves after a while if not rtv'd)
    11. buses_from_hell_fixed (this map is included a minigame on another mg map)
    12. mg_bob2_n00b (no need for this map, too easy and bob2 is already on server *cough* even wazblaz beat the original *cough*)
    13. mg_hellz_multigame_2012_fix
    14. mg_oaks_rathouse_xmas
    15. mg_oaks_chutes_n_ladders_v1
    16. mg_ka_trains_detach
    17. mg_rota_derp_v1_1 (great event map, just need lots of players)
    18. mg_clouds_multigames_beta2
    19. mg_aztec_strafes (never seen over 8+ players on this ever and map is incredibly short)
    20. mg_pyramid_escape_fix
    21. mg_justsurvive_1_v16
    22. mg_frightnight_final_v3
    23. mg_multisports_b1_3 (as much as I like this map, it gets a little repetitive)
    24. mg_backalley_run_v2
    25. mg_czy_multigames
    26. tron2_jb7
    27. mg_nx-neox_course_2_remake
    28. mg_kirbys_tower_v1
    29. mg_fno_multigame

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Spike

Spike Member
    Donator

3. suRpr1zE

suRpr1zE Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

@Spike

Waiting for other people to comment too. Feedback is appreciated. ;)

4. Pure

Pure Senior Member
    Donator

Agree, maps on mg server have a big impact on the population of the server
    most of the times when I join mg I find a map that old or unfun to play on making me get bored extremely fast and leave
    I believe mg server can be active more then jb if we add better and fun maps.

5. Camwil09

Camwil09 Junior Member

There are many new mg maps besides courses, that can be added to the server unfortunately. I just feel like we need a clear out of the maps that aren't played and everyone finds boring (and the buggy maps!)

6. Pure

Pure Senior Member
    Donator

True even when you try to nominate a good map it's hard to find because of all these maps list
    so end up nominating the 1st map i know and find.

7. aNimal

aNimal Member
    Donator

I disagree with most of this and there's nothing wrong with most of those maps, but to be fair there are a few that could do with being removed, i.e. aztec_strafes.
    Imo what gets properly boring is playing swag, lego, or miki's multi for the umpteenth time in a row. It's true that some of those maps are old, css is an old game of course, but that doesn't automatically make them bad and having some reprieve from the same 5 maps that are on constant rotation is nice.

The problem is no one is making maps anymore. Have a look through the past 4 years of mg maps released on gamebanana. It shouldn't take too long given that there are only 70 odd. Mind, most of them are pretty shocking and should get nowhere near the server.

Just my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. iCeMan!

iCeMan! Member

It's really hard to think of what to do but I agree with camwil, some maps need to be completely removed because they are just clogging the nomination list and arent healthy for the server, maps without an ending round like 100traps need to be removed completely because it's hard to get them rtv'ed and until that happens the server is empty.
    If there were still minigame maps released I would say to add new maps and put them at the top of the nomination or suggestions list so the server can try something different but as animal said there are no new maps being released anymore.

The biggest problem on minigames imo is not only that there are around 5 multigame maps being constantly played but that we dont really have any alternatives, when i look at maps to nominate except these for a break i always find myself thinking that there arent any alternatives that beat nominating the same map for the 1000th time, I like maps like backalleyrun or buses from hell because they are fun and offer something unique but i know they wont get voted if there are mostly regulars on, it's kind of a server mentality problem too. I often see people on minigame say "go back to jailbreak" and the like just because they are "newbies" and arent sweating their ass off, yeah mg is more competitive but its supposed to be fun and that mentality is driving new players away.

Also by playing the same maps since forever regulars know how to minmax them and shit on the newbies which drives them away, so unclogging the map pool and having fewer but better maps would most likely help less known maps be played more, forcing regs to play unknown maps and offering a break from the things we've been playing forever.

9. suRpr1zE

suRpr1zE Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

After a map count I have divided the maps on the server into 3 categories:
    • Obstacle courses: 47 maps
    • Multigames: 35 maps
    • Other: 41 maps
    Total at the time of this post: 123 maps, which is a lot more than I had anticipated by the way.

Just for reference, in this map count the maps mg_awp_multigames_fix, mg_random_arms_extension, mg_WarmCup_Headshot and mg_n64_goldeneye_v2h were placed in the Other category because these maps are essentially just deathmatch with a multigame setting at the beginning of the round.

Some of the maps you posted @Camwil09 will definitely be removed (multisports, bob2_n00b and some more). Others will need discussion and others will simply stay.

The course maps tower for the moment for the most maps but that is only because there have been 6 course maps added in the past few days because they were suggested.

Like @aNimal said just because some maps are old doesn't mean they are bad. No new maps are being made and if anyone can find a decent map that hasn't already been on the server or that I haven't played on in the past I will be ecstatic. Just make sure that you use the search function on the forums in the mg map thread to see if a map has already been suggested or not.

About the popular multigame maps that are played a lot, they are played a lot because they are extremely fun. It's that simple and I get that people might think they are boring and want to play something else in the cases that they are chosen a lot but then players will just have to speak up and tell people to vote for their map. Nominate the map you want and then influence and convince other players to choose it.

Also for the record, I heavily dislike exaggerations in arguments so if you guys want to e.g. remove a map don't say that it's "always bugged" or "everyone hates it". Use constructive reasoning to help your case.

There will be map removals in the next few days.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Camwil09

Camwil09 Junior Member

I agree with your last point regarding "always bugged" or "everyone hates it", however, I feel some maps such as grand puzzles needs to be removed and saved for special events. Most times I have played the map, it is never completed, as some of the puzzles bug out due to a gravity bug on the server. I have listed maps on the thread that I believe drive players away, I dislike a lot of course maps but I know a lot of people don't. The first 20 on the list I provided, I believe that they should removed 100% (excluding hellz multigames)

There are maps I absolutely hate such as smash cannonsz, however I do not include it in this list because I feel like new players to minigames really enjoy that map (And yes i do complain about that map A LOT) I hope that people see the maps listed as potential issues with player population, map bugs and "pointless maps" (such as bob2_noob) rather than what I think is the worst maps.

I look forward to the changes, thank you!