1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mainboard not working properly

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by Hans Tier, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

So I decided to buy a new desktop (first in 12 years). Among other parts it has a msi B350 PC Mate mainboard and a Ryzen 7 2700X CPU (naming these 2 because they might be the issue).
    So today my BIOS got updated so that it works with Ryzen 7. Now I tried to install Kubuntu 18.04 from USB and later DVD, which was not working (I guess thats a secondary issue atm). When I was checking the BIOS settings, after a two or three minutes (less time if I restarted immediately after) the Debug LED for CPU on the mainboard went on and I got a black screen.
    Does anybody know what the issue might be? The tech that made the BIOS update apparently had no problem (dont know how long he had it running though; used my CPU and RAM to test after update).

2. JoanXXX

JoanXXX Member

If you bought the computer from a shop pre-built, I'm guessing you built yours, but if you did maybe ask them whats wrong, this probably sounds quite stupid, but I can offer no other help apart from the obvious things.

3. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

So when you are in BIOS, after a min or two, it turns off with black screen and CPU debug light on motherboard?

4. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

Its custom. After 3 notebooks I thought why not build my own desktop :think:

Yes. A co-worker suggested overheating/shutdown but other than a malfunction I dont see how. Even temperatures in BIOS are okay.

5. Murky

Murky Veteran Member
    Donator

Try buying new one lt Should work.
    Please let me know if this solves your problem.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

Okay I just talked to the retailer and they suggested the CPU might be defective so they ordered a replacement.
    I talked to the tech that made the BIOS update as well and he suggested that I applied too much heat paste or that the CPU might be damaged. So now I reduced the heat paste and currently its running. BIOS shows me a slowly rising temperature (54°C atm, seems to be stabilized). So that might have been the issue at that point.
    Nope, stable temp at 54 and sys at around 35 and it just stopped and rebooted.

7. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

When it stops, the screen goes off... but does the system keep running as in the fans are still spinning? Or it completely stops and shows CPU led light?

Also did you try to reset the BIOS to defaults?

I must say there are many bad CPUs lately... @aniq's system also had a bad CPU. He goes the packaging was also dodgy compared to the replacement he received.

8. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

The fans are spinning including CPU fan plus light. All connected to mainboard. Usually it's just black screen and monitor saying "No signal" but today after like 10 mins in BIOS he rebooted after a few seconds and went straight to No boot device.

No didt reset BIOS cuz I fear loosing the update and I can't do that myself.

9. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

You cant lose it. When the BIOS is updated, it replaces the older version permanently. So no matter how many times you reset, it will stay on the same version.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 10, 2018, Original Post Date: Jul 10, 2018 ---
    So today it didn't show the CPU led light and rebooted straight to "no boot device"?

10. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

No it did and after a few seconds it was already up at "no boot device". Maybe I missed the screen where to press del to get into BIOS (was under the table looking for the lights ^^), its shown only a second or so.

Tried that now, both in bios and with jumper (used a metal pin since MB doesnt have its own, effect should be same). The first start it showed BIOS, then I restarted to check USB Image for OS and the CPU diod was blinking (about 3 seconds on then off then on again) and the PC just shut itself down completely. It did that two more times when I immediately restarted. I left it for a minute without power and then tried and after about 30 secs Im in BIOS now (with a little blinking diode). CPU at 54°C, MB at 37. In that state for about 12 minutes. Rebooted and tried with USB again and diode blinking again, no boot or menu. DVD same - nothing untill it powered down.
    Since the BIOS itself seems fine Im guessing the CPU is faulty :(

11. PASi

PASi Member
    Donator

Specs could help. It most likely is either, MB or CPU malfunction. More likely to be MB.

Is there any chance that you spilled thermal paste on pins or anywhere on MB. is CPU cooler applying enough and evenly pressure on CPU, also you sure its in cpu_fan socket not sys_fan? (Some motherboards prevent booting if cpu_fan not detected)
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 10, 2018, Original Post Date: Jul 10, 2018 ---
    Also b350 pc mate might not even be compatible with 2nd gen ryzens atm. PC MATE got it latest bios before 2nd gen ryzen launch so theres a high chance that its BIOS fault and there isn't even a public beta BIOS for that matter

I would try to take the mb back and change it to confirmed compatible one such as MSI B350 Gaming plus

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  12. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

Well additionally Sapphire Radeon RX580 Pulse GPU, 2x8GB Corsair RAM, 750 Watt ATX Power Supply, 120GB SSD and 2TB HDD.

No thermal paste on MB. The cooler (Wraith Prism) is not exactly evenly but its the best I can get it with the connector. Also the CPU temp is fine so I dont think its overheating.

PC Mate and Gaming Plus both got the last update in May, but Ill ask the retailer when they have the replacement CPU.

13. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

Looking at the CPU support list. R7 2700X seems to be supported on BIOS: 7A34vAD.zip
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-PC-MATE#support-cpu

14. PASi

PASi Member
    Donator

It's not about overheating, it's about actually connecting the cpu to mb. It can be possible issue, tho unlike as it goes that far in the process.

@Nomy darn how come i missed that.

But flashing cpu debug means that the cpu isn't really dead as it is able to communicate. Would be easiest to get to try cpu on confirmed working Mb (maybe wherever you bought the said parts or some other store).

15. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

Okay, got the replacement today and for now it seems to be working. The temp is even a little lower than with the first CPU. So far no crashes at least in BIOS.

I am still unable to install Kubuntu 18.04. USB just many warnings while its setting itself up and DVD gives me the menu and when I choose start its the same and it runs into errors or kernel panic.

16. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

I think you will find more info on ubuntu forums.

I think it's to do with UEFI or M.2. SSD if you use that.