1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A secret or not

Discussion in 'Counter-Strike Source Chat' started by Hans Entertainment, Jun 28, 2018.

?

Is it a secret? (answer after reading my post)

Poll closed Jun 29, 2018.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  3. Idk, never thought about this case

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Hans Entertainment

Hans Entertainment Senior Member

So I commanded I'm the evening on the map "vipthe.." in pool area while Ts where standing on the highest diving board, I told them: alright Ts you have 10 secs to jump there where I am pointing at, no worries there's an invisible diving board.

Player @Beef telling me it's a secret. I think the opposite.

So what do you guys think? Is it a secret or not? Ah I forgot: I still haven't gotten a proper explanation why it should be a secret.

2. Drain

Drain Senior Member
    Donator

not a secret

3. Beef

Beef Guest

it is a secret boi!
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 29, 2018, Original Post Date: Jun 29, 2018 ---
    its a secret cause its invisible. and its difficult for new players to get to or notice until someone shows it to them.

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. Steezus

Steezus The Experienced
    Retired Member Mapper

An invisible ledge must be a secret.. surely? How is it not?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jingle Jangles

Jingle Jangles Senior Member
    ]HeLL[ Member

The dictionary definition of the word 'secret' is anything that is unseen or intended to be unseen/unknown. On top of this, a secret is generally something that can only be known if you are told about it, i.e. 'let in' on the secret. An invisible ledge would come under these categories. This is clear enough to me. You cannot see it nor can you know about it unless you are told. It's a secret invisible ledge.

@Chris made a video of the VIP secrets here https://youtu.be/TL7VLOlR6KU - see the aforementioned ledge at 3:56.

That being said, I do think CTs should be allowed to command Ts to the ledge for a game. It is essentially harmless in this context and a fun game to play. Otherwise, it should be autorebel (ie if a T tries to hide there when the game isn't commanded), restricted for CTs + all players on SDs imo (like any other secret).

Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion only, not HeLL rules.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  6. rej

rej Member
    Donator

From my experience “secret” can have 3 meanings:
    a) A secret place, e.g. minecraft scout secret place
    b) Secret means of getting to a place which can be a secret place or not, e.g. in the vipinthemix box cage you can jump and press E in a corner and fall into a path that teleports you to armory
    c) A secret weapon, e.g avalanche infinite nade secret in surf

This looks like it belongs in category (b) so the way you get to it is secret but the place is not a secret

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Spiraler

Spiraler Member
    Donator

I think one thing that makes this not a secret is how easily visible it is. It's not as if you are totally hidden, and there is no real special way to get there. You see someone is up there, and all it takes is that you jump there. For the sake of any no secret camping rule, it's not something particularly hidden, and it would be quite easy to see anyone who decided to stand there since it's exactly as out in the open as standing in the same spot but at the bottom.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hans Entertainment

For me it isn't a secret, concerning to hell rules a secret should be invisible for other players when u are in the secret, however when you can be 100%ly seen by others if you are trying to hide in that diving board. I am aware that not everyone knows that secret, however by saying gas a warden that there is one (what I have did) it should be allowed to command Ts to this diving board. That's the reason why I don't see it as a secret. You only habe to think of the invisible stairs/ramp behind the lavafall in minecraft me-many players-including me-stay there while Ts for example drop down to deathrun, it was never a problem and even hell members didn't say a word. The diving board doesn't even have sth, it's just invisible. Ridiculous to consider it as a secret imo. Rejected summed up the 3 meanings of a secret, but I'm not d'accord with it

@Steezy maybe a proper explanation why it is a secret? Because it's only invisible?

9. Jingle Jangles

]HeLL[ Member

I've deleted this post seeing as a HeLL member clarified shortly afterwards which removes the possibility for the people I quoted / disagreed with to respond.

Happy to discuss in PM @Spiraler @reJected

10. WildFire

WildFire Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

It's a secret, but doesn't have any advantages of using it e.g. protected so people don't know where you are. So it's fine for the commander to ask Ts to jump onto it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Jingle Jangles

]HeLL[ Member

Are there any other exceptions to how it is treated as a secret? Can CTs camp there?

I personally think it does provide an advantage to camp it because without prior knowledge players will not expect someone to be floating up towards the ceiling.

12. Steezus

Steezus The Experienced
    Retired Member Mapper

What?

Yes.

The mapper made the ledge a secret. You are numb to it being a secret because you've played the map for hundreds of hours and most know about it I guess..

13. Hans Entertainment

Numb is the wrong word but anyways I got it - it's a secret but CTs are allowed to command them to it=exception of the "secret rule". Thx for all taking the time

14. SenorPedro

SenorPedro Member
    Super User

It's a secret, just one that most people know.
    That being said I don't think there should be a problem with ct's commanding t's to jump onto it

I think it actually describes the situation quite well. You've played that map so much you've simply become desensitised and accustomed to it

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hans Entertainment

what about blind, visionless, eyeless, lack of perception...?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  16. rej

rej Member
    Donator

Are you eyeless? O_O