1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A simple guide to logic

Discussion in 'Counter-Strike Source Chat' started by AfricanAmerican, Apr 16, 2018.

1. AfricanAmerican

Hello,
    I played quite a bit on the jailbreak servers and I often encountered warden that lacked a basic understanding of logic and thus randomly freekilled people.

That's why I wanted to help you guys out and make a simple guide to logic, lets begin:
    1. Precise Statements: "Last T to jump will die". What happens if one T does not jump? He won't be the last T that jumped and will not die. Better use "Follow my command or die. Last T to follow will die. All T's jump!" or better just play "Last Reaction" directly (see here)
    2. Proper Logical Operators: " Do A or B". If a T does A AND B he followed your command. Use "Do either A or B" (see here)
    3. Simon Says: "We play Simon Says now. Simon says: '...' ..... Ok, we will stop playing Simon Says and do..." But Simon didn't said that, so its invalid.
    4. Sentence Order: "All T's do X, first get Y". Name the reward or consequence before the action required for it or trigger the start with a keyword. That way, everyone can start at the same time and is fully aware of the outcome. Use "All T's, first following my next command get Y, do X" or "After I say go the 2nd time, all T's do X, first get Y. Go!"
    If you have anything to add, post below and I will add it to the list. Thanks for your time.

Yours truly,
    AfricanAmerican

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Jingle Jangles

Jingle Jangles Senior Member
    ]HeLL[ Member

Edit: see my post below (#7) for a more complete response + suggested solution to this.

I thought about this recently when the following happened: command was issued "last T to jump gets LR", 2 Ts jumped, one did not, he did not get LR. Another command was issued afterwards, "last T to jump dies", again, two Ts jumped and the same T chose not to jump at all, and he was killed. This was a blatant failure in logic on the warden's part as he should have given LR in the first instance if you don't actually have to jump to be the "last T to jump".

Simon says must always be explained before playing just like any other game. This is for the players that do not know what simon says is and whom would be unfairly killed if the game was not explained. "We are now playing simon says, simon says I'm simon" is not an explanation of the game. Simon says should be explained as follows "if I say simon says and issue a command, you must follow it, if you don't you will die, if I issue a command without saying simon says beforehand, you will die if you follow that command". The warden can then explain with an example "if I say simon says jump you must jump, if I say all Ts jump you must not jump, failure in each case results in death". You can even run a test round where nobody dies but you explain who would die if the game was active. The Ts should then be asked if they need a repeat, or you can just repeat the explanation yourself to be as fair as possible. After you've done this you can start the game "Simon says we're now playing simon says, Simon says I am Simon", and when you're finished, end the game with "Simon says we're no longer playing simon says, Simon says I am no longer Simon". If you're good at Simon Says and know how to play it wittily and intelligently, it's a lot of fun, very funny, and challenging for the Ts. This is in contrast to just saying "we're playing Simon says, go to my spray" and gunning down everyone at the spray. There's no wit, no cunning and no challenge in this on the warden's part, and the only one who has fun is the trigger happy warden and his complicit CTs (even then, I can't see how it's any fun to kill confused Ts genuinely trying to play games as best they can).

3. Champion!!

Champion!! Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. topbadge

topbadge Veteran Member
    Content Creator Donator

Fuck me, you need a law degree to play jail break these days.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 17, 2018, Original Post Date: Apr 17, 2018 ---
    "As you can clearly see your honour the defendant could not have been the last to jump, as in fact they did indeed not jump at all, It is therefor clear that I must make plea of freekill towards the CT and request the punishment of slay be carried out immediately with the recommendation that the accused CT be removed from their position with a ban for the duration of seven working days"

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Spiraler

Spiraler Member
    Donator

There are, I think, a couple issues to address here and I think that there does need to be a bit of discussion on these things.

First is the issue of being precise with commands. While most will be able to get away with commands that are not 100% clear because they are common enough to be understood by those who have played the game, there should still be a precedent for explaining all games fully. In the case of last reaction it is generally understood that not doing the command at all counts as being the "last" one. And in the case of what Jingle mentioned above, it is unfair that the same command ("last T to jump") was different dependent on the prize. Wardens should simply be more clear with what they mean by "last T to jump" because from a technical standpoint, not jumping doesn't make you last to jump, despite the fact that, as mentioned earlier, the opposite is generally taken. Wardens should be clear, like when explaining last reaction they should mention that doing nothing counts as being last since it is expected that you will attempt to do the command eventually.

Second is the issue of logical precision. Namely the operators of disjunction (a OR b) and implication (IF a THEN b). These are two things that are generally taken to mean something different than their formal meaning. You are correct that "do a OR b" does technically mean that doing both a and b is an acceptable action, but in most cases in the English language this is not the case. Take the example of going out to eat and the menu says "all entrees come with salad or soup." If you asked for both, you'd be charged extra because they clearly meant one but not both. Most often this is also the case in commands, especially if the word "or" is stressed, or if you're only physically able to do one (e.g. "go into jump rope or wipeout"). Although you didn't mention it, since the topic of formal logic came up I also wanted to address the statement "IF a THEN b." One command you may hear a lot is, "Jump if you have a gun, lie to die," and from a formal logic standpoint this does not forbid people without guns to jump. However, it is well understood that this is meant as, "Jump if and only if you have a gun, lie to die." I don't think it's unreasonable to say that these cases are equivalent and that wardens don't always need 100% formal logic in their commands since formal logic often conflicts with common understanding in English.

As for simon says, that game itself is a whole can of worms.

6. Wazblaz

Wazblaz Veteran Member
    Mapper Donator

Other than you guys with a PHD or what ever,

I don’t think anyone actually cares... like we come here to play and have fun after work/school not ensure our English is oxford level...

Half the server isn’t actually English anyway so asking for their English to be better than half of the chav population of England is crazy lol

How about we just realise what is meant and carry on like normal. No point trying to change vocabulary, understand what the commander means and be done with it.

‘Simon says I’m Simon, Simon says we’re playing Simon says’
    ‘Simon says we are no longer playing Simon says, Simon says I am no longer simon’.

This game is a game people play from school, idk if it’s played now but it was when I was a child. If someone new doesn’t understand, then copy others and realise what’s happening. Or alternatively die and then ask or figure out why you died

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jingle Jangles

Jingle Jangles Senior Member
    ]HeLL[ Member

If you say "last T to *any command* dies", chances are, some Ts will do that command before you've finished the command with "dies", so yeah this would class as an unfair game as Ts are not aware of the consequences of following the command or the rules of the game before the game starts. On top of this you could argue it's a trick command. Getting Ts to do something and adding "to die" after they've already done the command, then killing them, means you've tricked those Ts into being killed. I will consider adding this to the list of trick commands on the trick commands thread.

How to play the "last T to jump" game: "when I shine my laser, the last T to jump dies, if you don't jump, you die", or "when I say go for the 2nd time, last T to jump dies, if you don't jump you die, go". This makes it a fair and easy to understand game. No tricks, bias or logical flaws, and easy/brief to explain.

Just like with simon says and any other game, Ts need to know the rules of the game and the consequences of their actions before the game starts. This is how any game in the world is played and jailbreak isn't/shouldn't be an exception.

It's a bit of a cop out to not take the 5-10 seconds or so it takes to explain the rules of Simon Says (or any other game), especially when doing so is so easy and makes it so much more fun for new/unaware players as they can actually participate rather than just die and have to attempt to figure out what happened (or more likely, just leave the server out of confusion/boredom).

You wouldn't play any other game in the world without learning the rules beforehand, and winning in a setting where the chances to win are equal and fair for all players is the most rewarding part of playing any game. If we sat down to play a game of chess together and you didn't know how to play, I'd take the time to explain the rules until I knew that we were on a level playing field. Maybe we play a few test rounds so you can learn as you go, and maybe we don't even play a proper game on the first day, we come back to it when you're ready a few days later. This makes the game a challenge, the fairness is what makes it exhilarating as you are not quite sure who will come out on top. Imagine if we sat down and I just said "this is chess, we are now playing chess, if you lose you owe me £10, go", what fun would that be?

The chess thing is an analogy of course I'm not implying we spend several days explaining games on jailbreak..

I would argue strongly that the more fair jailbreak is, the more fun it is, based on what I've said above.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wazblaz

Wazblaz Veteran Member
    Mapper Donator

explain the game is someone asks, or if you know it’s new is players alive sure. But I ain’t saying a long ass winded explanation on a game that lasts less time than is does to explain - first reaction last reaction.

‘First t to jump dies, last t to jump dies’

If everyone else jumps, and you don’t, you inevitably are the last T that can jump so you should die... don’t try get technical and break something that’s been common for 11 years.

Jailbreak is a game of trial and error, you read the rules, you break the rules, you learn and continue to play. I’m not saying be so trigger happy it isn’t fun because I hate those commanders but I’m not reexplaining myself every time when I don’t see the need too

Oh and could you like this trick command thread please idk where it is or that we had one