1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increase Ping Limit

Discussion in 'Server Problems & Suggestions' started by Glasses, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

Are you ok or you want to get banned again? They aren't laughing at you. We had many conversations about your ping, this was one of them.
    There is no need to be offended by this.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

Yea I have been killing this community for many years.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Swyifh

Swyifh Member

Ive never had any problem m8.

4. Hans Entertainment

Hans Entertainment Senior Member

This made not my day, but my whole next week, it is nearly impossible to top this

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

Can we please calm down everyone? There is no need for drama. @Glasses asked a question and it was answered apropriately and the technical limits were explained. Of course everyone should be able to play, but there is only so much technology brings. So please dont blame each other for things none of you can change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Swyifh

Swyifh Member

To be fair even Valve cant get some proper CS servers ever since Source. Problably still using the ones from Source on GO now. I bet i can fry an egg and make some toast and have a good breakfast alltogether with just a spatula in their server room.

7. Glasses

Glasses Newbie
    Donator

Thank you @Nomy I do really appreciate it. :D

As for this thread I didn't mean for it to become a shit fight over ping. I just really enjoy playing on the servers and I've made some good friends who live over the pond. The other night we were playing other ]HeLL[ Clan servers on CSS (not just JB, I know - crazy right? hehe) and I was getting kicked continuously so I thought no harm in asking. I completely understand why you don't want the ping limit high on all servers and as I said I appreciate that you've increased it by a bit.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 5
  8. Larios

Larios Member

Goddamn Nomy I would've sold him virtual ram if it wasn't for you ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Jingle Jangles

Jingle Jangles Senior Member
    ]HeLL[ Member

If you think there are no problems caused by playing with a high ping then watch this video: (it's avi so can be viewed with any video player)

https://mega.nz/#!vKBWnQ7D!YOiYV5uAzKRwF9AVqzMulvIxxeIU3sWZerUJjTi_esY

I've honestly been knifed from twice this distance away (no demos of that due to server restart), and this isn't the first time it's happened to me either, or other players. You can also see him teleporting around like The Flash.

I'm definitely for having players from far away playing in the server for a bunch of reasons (inclusiveness, diversity, openness etc.) but this is a problem. It's a problem because it's neither fair nor realistic to be knifed from 10-20 meters away by a high ping player when everybody else has to actually make contact with the knife. If someone used a hack that increased their knifing distance in this way or teleported them around, they'd be banned without hesitation.

I don't know what solution there could be for this, but I personally do not think it would be a good idea to increase the ping limit any more than it already is. I don't know about the other servers, but considering that the knife is the primary weapon for most players on jailbreak this applies especially to that server.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

I don't think fair to say this when the server had been under attack. HansTier doesn't have high ping either, pretty sure it's less than 50ms for him. If it wasn't an attack then maybe it was a temporary network issue on either the server or your side.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jingle Jangles

]HeLL[ Member

I was not aware that the server had been under attack as I'd been on the server for some hours and not witnessed any problems with player ping or anything like that with myself or others. Hans was the only player with high ping (it was 200-330 or so at the time of the video) though I can attest that he usually has far, far less than this (much below 100). I assumed it was a lag spike on his end for whatever reason and so felt it was fine to upload this as an example of what happens when players have high ping on the server. Whether the server is/was under attack or not or there were network issues or not, this is what happens when players play with pings above 220 or so and I don't see a problem with this video demonstrating that fact. As I mention this kind of thing happens consistently with high ping players and I would stand by the argument that it is not fair. I recall us not so long ago playing together in the server and agreeing that a player with high ping had a significant advantage in knife fights over other players due to his ping.

It goes without saying though that I will consider what you've said when collecting future demos. I can't imagine it will take long for me to obtain another demo example of this happening.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

@Jingle Jangles sorry about that, its my network and I dont really have much influence on it. Despite it being high speed internet in urban area, in the last few weeks we had times with extremely high latency and low dl-rates. For me to play that way is as annoying as its for you.

13. Jingle Jangles

]HeLL[ Member

Hey don't apologise man it was not your fault in the slightest and I was not annoyed by it at all. I said this when it happened. The reason I posted the video was purely for the purposes of demonstrating what happens to the game mechanics when players have high ping. Basically since I've had this happen to me a few times and once at even twice that distance, and did not get demos before, I was kind of jumping on the opportunity to upload this as I finally had a demo to show this occurring in a real match on the server.

Honestly if I thought people would respond feeling that I am disparaging you in some way as they appear to be, I would not have uploaded the video. Maybe my post was not entirely as I intended it to be as I do not want to come across that I am having a go at high ping players, just that it's objectively unfair in their favour in certain areas of the game. I know that you do not usually have high ping and even if you did I would not be annoyed or something like that.

I have removed the link for now. If you think it's appropriate / okay for me to reupload it then let me know, either way it is not a problem. If not, I'll happily wait for another demo to be recorded that's maybe more appropriate and upload that.

Edit: sorry for not running the video by you before uploading it as well. It was poor judgement to upload it without checking with you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

Whats being demonstrated in the video is called rubberbanding. There is another lag which looks like stutter or teleporting.

The high pingers from places like Australia shouldn't have that bad of rubberbanding issue. But if it does then yes it is annoying. They maybe told to fix it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

Nono, its okay you can leave it up. I dont feel offended or anything (well, except by my ISP, who is crap :D ). The video is a good example of the negative effects of high ping. I just assumed that you were annoyd, because I was (on my end people teleport as well, and I get "magic damage" by players I dont see).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Glasses

Glasses Newbie
    Donator

Please don’t take my post as a complaint on how my ping affects my gameplay, as it’s not, it’s just the facts. I just feel that you think high ping only affects you, but it doesn’t. Those who choose to play on the server with higher ping do it because they enjoy the server, which is a compliment.

I understand your concerns in regards to knife fights and ping however there are many aspects of jailbreak I cannot play or I’ve had to learn how to play differently because of my ping. When I get to !lr it’s usually because the team rebelled and I didn’t or a nice T has picked me as their !lr partner. It’s rare that I get there because of winning games. Here are some examples for you:

• Last reaction - usually I hear the command late due to ping and I don’t crouch/jump in time.
    • Colours - by the time I see the colour and react I’m in the water. Jumping can sometimes help until the command is “jump to die”.
    • Wipeout/Skipping Rope etc. - In some maps I’m able to do these as I’ve learnt how to jump at a different time. Usually this means on my screen I’m jumping on top of the rope.
    • Race/trivia - another mic lag game and hearing the command late. When the question is 2 + 2 (or any maths... haha) I have no chance.
    These are only a few examples - if I do win any of the above it’s super exciting! Haha.

I also do appreciate the players who are thoughtful and give me warning shots when I’m slow to walk somewhere due to ping (and/or I get distracted easily in chat or on my phone... oops!).

I don’t think high ping is, or should be considered a big problem as most people wouldn’t put up with the above and end up freekilling or leaving (the time difference also plays a big part in this too).

I believe that the regulars with high ping (the players with around 200-300.. not those who have the occasional lag spike or rubber banding issues) stay on the severs because they enjoy the player base and game modes.

Let’s be real there are not many high ping regulars, especially from Australia, and I think there are many other things that ruin game play more such as mic spam, playing last reaction with 15 Ts or terrible wardens who decide that warday is better than playing any games on a map... surely these are worse than getting occasionally knifed from a distance?

I honestly enjoy playing on the clans servers and therefore I deal with the consequences of high ping. I think you’re all super lovely and fun and that’s why I choose to play JB with you all. The high ping increase was more so I could play with a few regulars on other servers occasionally. Usually when we chose to play on other servers there is no one else on them or they’re very quiet (probably due to my time difference) hence why I asked.

EDIT: I didn’t realise how long this post would be, sorry! >.<

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Jingle Jangles

]HeLL[ Member

Honestly my original post did not come across exactly as I intended. It is more provocative than I meant it do be. Really, I just wanted to post the demo and demonstrate issue of long knifing distance, not imply that it is all high ping players are or that they need to be stopped or something. I tried to clarify this in my posts afterwards, rather than just edit the original post. I'll elaborate some more on what my reasons for posting here were below.

This is important to know, that there are disadvantages to high ping as well, and quite a lot at that. I didn't really consider this in my original post as I just wanted to talk about the knifing distance issue I've noticed, but yeah, high ping is arguably a disadvantage in more ways than it is an advantage judging by the examples you've given, and I appreciate that.

That's definitely a good thing. I always give warnings but will additionally consider high ping players in this context such as with yourself in future for sure.

I agree with the point about high ping players playing on the server, as I've mentioned in my post my opinion is that high ping players should definitely play on the server, no doubt about that. I just consider the knifing distance problem to be a genuine problem that does significantly effect the game when it occurs.

You're right that there are not many 200+ ping players, there's maybe even less than 5% at any given time (though its closer to 10% at off-peak times) and I'm not even considering specifically regular high ping players here. So in that sense you could argue that makes it a non-issue and that's a fair point. And honestly, a bunch of the times this knifing distance issue has happened to me has been with players that are not regularly high ping. So, I guess I would reiterate here the main reason for my original post was to simply highlight the issue that occurs whenever it occurs, and was not intended to be directed at players with regular high pings due to distance from the server (though it comes across that way).

I don't think mic spam or similar kinds of issues comes under the same category of problem.

I agree, you could write a page at least of bad wardening practices that negatively affect the game, but as with mic spamming it's a different issue altogether to knifing distances. When this happens to me, for example getting backstabbed from 20 meters away by a rebelling T, at the time of occurrence I'd probably argue it's an issue worse than most others. I believe it's the same for others, as some have told me in their similar experiences. I suppose that if this hasn't happened to you specifically you may not see this point, though, I don't know whether it has or not.

I think most JB players are great fun and really friendly too and I would say the same about you in the times I've played when you are on.

Well, I don't particularly play on non-JB servers currently so I suppose I don't have much of a right to say much about that. From what I can tell the JB ping limit is at least 4 or 500, which can't be a good thing in my opinion really seeing as there's so many disadvantages even for the player experiencing that ping (the issues you mention magnified even more), let alone the knifing distance problem. I think generally I would stand by the argument that the ping limit shouldn't be too high, and actually I would use your points to emphasise this. I can't imagine someone with 400+ ping having much of a good time on JB.

That's okay, some of my posts are insanely long by comparison :p (probably this one included now that I look at it).

I hope this post makes sense, I wrote it very late and with little sleep.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  18. Jingle Jangles

]HeLL[ Member

19. Swyifh

Swyifh Member

Wow, thats depressing