1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bitcoin - Currency of the Future?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by Elite, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Elite

Elite Member
    Donator

Thought i'd start a thread about bitcoins for people to speak about/ask any questions about bitcoin. I personally don't know loads but I have been reading up on it and am very intrigued in the recent rices of value, especially when I think there's going to a price correction.

For those who don't know: Bitcoin is an online cryptocurrency (a currency generated through methods of encryption), and is generated through cracking codes of the limited 21 million available, which are harder to crack as the supply decreases.

There's been a massive surge of prices of up to now $17k per coin (now anyway) , where it was previously at $3.2k mid September.

Just thought i'd make this a forum of topic to talk about bitcoin or any other cryptocurrencies, and if anyone knows a lot more than i do feel free to share what you think about today's state :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Murky

Murky Veteran Member
    Donator

3. SenorPedro

SenorPedro Member
    Super User

Litecoin has seen some decent rises to value in the past week also!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Elite

Elite Member
    Donator

Yeah I know someone who bought them at 35 pound per coin, 10 of them, and now worth 250+

5. Hans Entertainment

Hans Entertainment Senior Member

Well, by speculations the value is very very influenceable (since Japan decided that bitcoins are an official currency, almost everybody staryed to buy bitcoins- 》value is increasing), furthermore there was already a bitcoinbladder which has already bursted, when the 2nd bladder bursts, that is the next question... you don't buy it not from the government, but from random people, you never know whether the "sellers" are swindlers or not and the government may not follow the track because, otherwise, the anonymity would be attacked, means the value sinks and everybody sells bitcoins... I would not invest in bitcoins and because of the point that this currency is misused in the informal market

My opinion

6. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

Hmm the same way you don't know your £20 note had been rolled to be used to snort cocaine? Imagine all the dirty nostrils it had been in contact with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Myles

Myles The Experienced
    Retired Member

You've just ruined my entire experience with money now.....:sick::finger:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Hans Entertainment

Solution: buy a small hand disinfectant in your nearest pharmacy for around 2 euros

Of course you could solve the problem as I've mentioned, however this means that bitcoins don't promise 100% anonymity, if the law of a country takes this step, then the value of bitcoins is going to reduce around half or more for sure....people who bought bitcoins 5 or 6 ago were or are only using it because of anonymity and get drugs or sth even worse for example in the deep web

Summing up, my point is that it is possible to solve the problem you have mentioned @Nomy without creating any disadvantages, the problem I've mentioned is now impossible to solve in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  9. PASi

PASi Member
    Donator

Better start sniffing my 20€ notes

But tbh if skin trading or/and deep web would get brought down somehow, bitcoins would be goners

10. Hans Entertainment

People think that the percentage of those transaction is low...it isn't, they started this years ago, it starts with that the majority doesn't know what deep web is, users in the deep web were the first, who knew the real potential of bitcoins, it is: doing transactions which are untreacable

11. aniq

aniq Member
    Donator

I think I had some bitcoin back in like 2010 but lost them now.

12. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

I didn't wanted to get into a debate but I think some really don't know how blockchain work.

https://news.bitcoin.com/panama-papers-bitcoin-stop-corruption/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Soditso

Soditso Member

Hello! I like this thread so Im going to give my opinion if u dont mind
    Today btc or bitcoin is 9.998~10.030, a month ago it was 16.7k so its value could go to 15k~ again, be stable at 10k or maybe go down a lot, because 1 year ago its value was 900‎
    Eth or ethereum is 930‎, its a more stable value than btc but hey, if btc go down this coin will go down as well
    Ltc or littlecoin is 170‎, less stable than eth but more than btc
    Once we know this my opinion is, if you would like to invest in this "new" coin, u should try eth if ur weatlh is great or ltc if u have no money like me haha, btc may vary 1,2,3 or even 4k in a day so probably u can have an heart attack if ure worried about it.
    And last I want to add, remember, you can buy 0.5, 0.01 btc, u dont have to buy integer numbers like 1 or 2, u can even 0.015 for example =)

I use coinbase for know the value of these coins

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

Coinbase is quite good for buying Bitcoin, Ether and Litecoin with fiat currency like US Dollars or Euros. You would need a bank account. Also never keep your currency on the exchange like Coinbase. They do get hacked and you will lose your coins. Transfer them to cold storage off any exchanges or online wallets that do not give control over your private key.

I think these 3 cryptos are already quite expensive now, if you didn't buy these in 2011, you missed the ship. Some newer altcoins are quite interesting. For example Ripple (XRP) and Stellar (XLR). They don't require mining. Stellar for example have this thing called inflation mechanism where if you join an inflation pool, they give out coins for every vote. Each coin in your wallet count as a vote. Electroneum also looks good.

I think the real value rates can be found here: https://coinmarketcap.com/
    The rates on exchanges aren't good.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Soditso

Soditso Member

Yes, I forgot to mention that u "must have" a great wealth to buy now so thats why I talked about ltc, I didnt know about Ripple and in my opinion is a very interesting one.
    coinmarketcap is way better than coinbase as I'm looking, I use coinbase because the app on android hehe