1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Branching path_track

Discussion in 'Source SDK / Map developement' started by Hans Tier, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

So I want to make a game where basically Ts (JB) have to avoid oncomming cars before being crushed. On the press of a button cars come, follow the path_tracks to the end, teleport back to the start and go again until a button is pressed again. This part works so far.
    But I wanted to make 2 difficulties - and somehow the branching doesnt work at all.
    The first node gives the 2 path_tracks for the branches, the easy- and hard-button either "DisableAlternatePath" or "EnableAlternatePath". But no matter what I do, the car takes the speed from the starting node and ignores the speeds of both branches (while driving to the nodes correctly).
    Below the settings (not mentioned stuff is default or not related to path_track).

tracktrain values:
    First Stop Target: Startingnode
    Max Speed: 2000
    Initial Speed: 100
    Damage on Crush: 200
    Flags: No User Control, Unblockable
    child is a prop_dynamic car

Startingnode values:
    Next Stop Target: easy
    Branch Path: hard
    New Train Speed: 2000
    OnPass !activator stop
    Flags: Teleport to THIS path track

easy values:
    Next Stop Target: node2
    New Train Speed: 750
    Flags: Uphill

hard values:
    Next Stop Target: node2
    New Train Speed: 1250
    Flags: Uphill

So from my understanding the tracktrain should drive either 750 or 1250. But instead it drives 2000 no matter what I do :(
    On a sidenote the tracktrain has Move Sound "ATV_fourthgear_noshift" which never plays ingame.

Can someone please tell me what Im doing wrong with the branching? Because I have no clue.

2. LittleDemon

LittleDemon Member

Wow I had posted something but looks like it didn't go through.
    I don't have much experience with path_track but you could circumvent this by using a point_template that spawns either of two simple no collision mini walls that move forward with the car parented to them and on top of them. Each at different speeds of course. I can try to make an exemple on hammer if you'd like, add me on steam ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/dnrme )

Edit : Misread about the game but same plan applies (can spawn random moving cars)

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

I have added you on steam.
    Yeah that could work. Currently Im reworking the street to fit another game-area, so I might drop the easy difficulty completely (no point for the car to take 15 sec to you), and thereby fixing the problem. Also Im not spawning the cars at the moment but hide them in a occluder. Hopefully 48 cars wont crash the server >.< Otherwise I will spawn and despawn of course.