1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics card help

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by Spooky, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Spooky

Spooky The Experienced
    Donator

So basically my PC doesn't boot up with the AMD drivers installed. I get to the login screen, followed by a blackscreen.
    I uninstalled the drivers and it would work fine until I tried installing them again.

Already tried several driver versions, clean Windows install, updated BIOS.

Anyone stumbled upon this before or has any ideas? Wanted to check everything before I accept that my GPU might be dead.

Thanks ^^

msi AMD HD 7850
    Windows 10

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  2. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

Sounds like the problem I had https://hellclan.co.uk/threads/37011/
    You can go through the links there and see if anything can fix your problem. In my case, Im lucky to have another notebook, because I was unable to fix the issue.

3. Arya

Arya Veteran Member
    Retired Member

Does your mobo has onboard Intel graphics too?

If so, try disabling the Intel one in Device Manager and let the AMD one enabled. Reboot and test.

If this is not working, try the same steps but use this link for the AMD driver. Don't use the .exe but extract it using Winrar and manually link the driver files.

4. JonSnow

JonSnow Junior Member
    Donator

Reset ur CMoS, type in google "how to reset cmos..." with ur motherboard or read the manuel if u have it, it invloves shorting out 2 pins, its safe so dont panic, another area to test is, ur PSU to see if all cables are working as with update drivers they would use more power for ur GPU, i had dat issue once with my 500W one which i had to upgrade to 650
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 27, 2017, Original Post Date: Jun 27, 2017 ---
    double check if you drivers are compatible with your GPU, if the GPU is broken then throw it away and use Nvidia GPU's much better, with GeForce experince you driver are auto updated and never break

5. Spooky

Spooky The Experienced
    Donator

Already tried that, didn't work :/

CMoS reset didnt help either

Had this GPU for 3 years, PSU shouldn't be a problem. Anyway I went and got an Nvidia card and everything seems to work fine. Should have ditched AMD a long time ago...

I'll try and bake the old GPU and see if there's any hope left

Thanks for your help !

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

No, don't put it in the oven, you can permanently damage other components doing so. Use a heat gun mostly used for scraping paint and locally heat the GPU chip directly to reflow the solder. Cover the rest of the components with aluminum foil to avoid killing them.

Even better would be to use flux before reflowing but you might not have it. Just don't breathe the vapours.

This isn't AMD problem, Nvidia or any other graphics card can suffer from same issue. Electrical components degrade with heat over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Spooky

Spooky The Experienced
    Donator

Since I already replaced it I was rather curious what would happen in the oven :D

8. JonSnow

JonSnow Junior Member
    Donator

even better, put it in the microwave and record the video please :h: