1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interaction between SM and map

Discussion in 'Source SDK / Map developement' started by Hans Tier, May 22, 2017.

1. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

So I started making my first jb map, and I have a pretty good idea what it will look like. One of the games will be basically a special day - and once started everyone outside of that game will be killed.
    The Hell JB server interacts with the map. Admins can open cells and on !sd cells are opened. The problem I see is that my special day game could be abused on a sd when a CT / pseudo CT gets in and everyone else gets killed. I would deactivate the game (and maybe other games that could be unfair on sd), but on what communication of SM should I listen?

2. Steezus

Steezus The Experienced
    Retired Member Mapper

Really hard to understand what you are talking about..

3. T95

T95 Member
    Mapper

If I got everything correctly, you want to create a map,which will somehow interact with server(for example kill everybody outside area),right? Technically that is not possible without a plugin written for your map. Also the plugin must be installed on the server ( I think they allow that on ]HeLL[,but Im not sure). If you are still interested in having such a map, then I can help you with a plugin. Me and one advanced programmer were working on a lot of interesting stuff with a combination map-plugin. Explain please what exactly do you want or at least how do you imagine it.

4. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    What Im intending on my map: a game, resembling something like a warday/FFD doesnt allow through its nature any rebellers/leftover CTs [only one Team shall survive the game and end the round] and therefore kills anyone outside the game area (simmilar to the nuke on new summer, when the timer runs out)
    What I see on Hell JB: SM is used to call special days, where cells are auto-opened (not the auto-open of the map but through SM). Admins also can open cells via SM.
    The problem I see: when there is a sd someone could abuse the game to win the sd; for example anyone on CT on MMD or the tank on tankday (the CT just gets in the game and everyone exept him is killed, ruining the sd)
    What Im asking for: I am pretty sure doing !sd just triggers all doors "open", but when sd is called, is there a way for the map to realize that so I can disable the particular game? I could implement logic to check if a CT and T are in the game area for the game to start, but I would like to make it sd-safe ;)

I know the map is far from finished, but Im still worried about that issue.

5. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

Not a mapper but just an idea...
    Maybe create a door somewhere outside the map, inaccessible, when this door is opened, it means the sd plugin triggered it. But this will also give a false detection if the admin uses command to open cells.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

Good idea. With this I could block the game/disable buttons. The false positive is in this case acceptable I think, because there are enough other games (admin opening doors is much more rare than sd; and cells auto-open after 30 secs so there should be no need for opening the doors via SM)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. LittleDemon

LittleDemon Member

Not sure I understood what you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure you can do a lot to help your problem with Logic entities, teleports, triggers, templates and team filters.
    Something like onbuttonpressed, disable certain teleports/triggers or enable template that creates a wall and blocks the teleport to the game in question.
    Be creative :)

8. Hans Tier

Hans Tier Guest

The logic isnt the problem, but I need to catch the SM event when the SD is called (basically find the correct eventlistener). Since all doors are set "open" (see Nomys post above) I can implement the logic into a hidden door.

EDIT: I believe my question is answered, thanks everyone for the help