1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC making the router go in a reboot loop

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by Conner, May 18, 2017.

1. Conner

Conner Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

So I shall not be on until next Monday / Tuesday when hopefully a new router from Virgin will resolve the issues I have been experiencing.

Out of curiosity, as Virgin were rather useless, has anyone else seen the issues below.

When my PC is connected to the router, the router goes in a reboot loop. With the PC disconnected the router boots fine and WiFi works (not tested any other Ethernet enabled devices).

I have tried re-installing the network drivers to a version that I know definitely once worked, didn't help.
    Tried replacing the Ethernet lead just in case any shorts or anything were being made, didn't help.
    Virus and malware scans didn't bring anything up.

Other than waiting until next Monday/Tuesday time when Virgin deliver the new router, anyone have any suggestions? As I have never seen this, neither has the computer repair place nearby myself.

2. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

So when you connect your PC to your router over either Wireless or Ethernet cable, you router restarts itself?
    It sounds like a bad router. No device should be able to restart a router.

3. Conner

Conner Administrator

PC doesn't have a Wireless card installed, only the motherboards Ethernet port available.

4. JayJay

JayJay Administrator

I've had a similar thing before every time I use to scan for servers on arma 2 via "server browser" it would crash my rooter.

It was summit to do with application and mass connections. Don't really know.

Try booting pc in safe mode and see if it stays on. Maybe virus or dodgy app.

5. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

This is caused by mass pinging servers all over the internet and your router couldn't handle it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Conner

Conner Administrator

Before I had to leave for work I managed to get Wireshark downloaded on my laptop and installed on my PC however did not have enough time to run it. Would be interesting to see if this is causing the issue.

7. Arya

Arya Veteran Member
    Retired Member

Does this happen only when you connect your pc with the router via ethernet cable or also when connecting mobile devices?

8. Conner

Conner Administrator

Just the PC. All wireless devices such as my Phone and TV are fine and the router stays on. Upon connecting the Ethernet from PC to router, the router instantly reboots itself.

9. Arya

Arya Veteran Member
    Retired Member

Try updating router's firmware using a laptop if you have one available.

10. Conner

Conner Administrator

Will try when I get home.

Thanks guys!

11. Conner

Conner Administrator

No way of upgrading the Hub 1. Looks like I'm just going to have to wait for Virgin to send out the new router.

Thanks anyway guys!

12. Conner

Conner Administrator

Okay so after the events above, the WiFi started to drop too. Got home from work last night and the Router was completely off. Tried to boot it up and all lights just stayed on blue (not going through the boot process at all). Tried rebooting again and it was as if something was just shorting it out as lights would flicker on and then completely switch off again.

Virgin said last Thursday they had sent a new Router out. Called again last night and apparently one was never ordered. One was ordered last night however because it was the evening, doubt it would have been processed until today in which may even be next Monday by the time I am back on. :(

Thanks for your support @Nomy and @Arya .

• Like Like x 1