1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

60% Keyboards

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by foetus, May 6, 2017.

1. foetus

foetus Member
    Donator

Anyone know much about 60% mechanical keyboards? I've been thinking about building one but I wouldn't really know where to begin, just wondering if anyone has any experience with building/using one and could give some tips as I know it is a bit of a niche but there are so many different variations of builds and brands etc

Also if anyone could recommend some UK websites that I can order parts from that would also be appreciated!

60% Keyboard.jpg

2. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

I have like a "10 keys less" keyboard by CoolerMaster. It's not retro looking like the one in the picture and I didn't have to build it. I didn't even know building these were a thing. I guess there are kits out there?

3. foetus

foetus Member
    Donator

I've had a browse online and found websites like https://1upkeyboards.com/ that offers kits but they only include the base things like the PCB and the faceplates I think, you'd have to buy all of the switches and keycaps separately and that'd add up, plus its an american site so you're paying another £20-30 shipping.

I think I'm going to try out the actual keyboard style itself first, see how it feels and if I like it. Another popular manufacturer called Vortex makes 60% keyboards and they're supposed to be just as good. I was looking at getting a Poker 3, the reviews seem quite good;

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

1upkeyboards probably won't have UK layout.

Vortex Poker 3 with UK layout is available on Amazon but its a bit on the expensive side especially for a small keyboard.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vortexgear-KBC-poker-Mechanical-Backlight/dp/B00TIM68NY

I think you will miss the arrow keys the most and at first, getting used to this form factor would be a bit annoying since you will have to press a combination of keys to use a certain key you find on full keyboard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. foetus

foetus Member
    Donator

I didn't think of that, would there be much of a difference with the American layout compared to the UK one?

That was the one I was looking at getting from Amazon except with Cherry Mx-Clear switches, and you're right about the arrow keys, that would be a bit of a learning curve but I still think it looks really cool. I'd get some nice keycaps and a nice cord for it and make it look siiiiiiiick.
    If I regret my decisions and decide that I don't like using it, I can always flog it online with its customisation or just with them included with the keyboard, on the plus side, if I do like it I'm totally looking forward to building my own finding custom parts online because you can make them look one of a kind that way.
    another-one-dj-khaled-i-like-that.jpg

6. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

Quite different, the symbols are on different keys, no pound sign but you get @ there instead. The enter key would be the most annoying for you. I personally use US layout because I used US keyboard since first exposed to PCs. I cant stand the UK layout, I make a lot of mistakes on it. I guess it would be the same for you using US layout.

I am not sure if you can buy keys and replace them, I doubt that will work because key layout is quite different.

7. Arya

Arya Veteran Member
    Retired Member

• Like Like x 2
  8. topbadge

topbadge Veteran Member
    Content Creator Donator

I mean they look cool but it seems to me like you're giving up a lot of function maybe I'm missing something.

9. Arya

Arya Veteran Member
    Retired Member

If you are talking about macro-button keys on other keyboards. It's not really a loss that it's not on the WASD-keyboards.

They are mechanical (switches of your choice), size is customizable (with/without numpad, arrows, etc).

You can customize the prints on the keycaps. And the USB-cable is detachable, which is a huge plus.

Unless I'm missing a very important feature on a mechanical gaming keyboard. What feature do you miss then?

10. topbadge

topbadge Veteran Member
    Content Creator Donator

I wasn't talking about what you linked Arya, I was talking about the minimal keyboards the other guys linked not having function keys, Navigation keys and numpad would drive me nuts.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Arya

Arya Veteran Member
    Retired Member

My bad. Thought you were posting to mine.

12. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

Arya's link has the 61 keys minimal keyboard. I think these keyboards have function keys but just annoying to get used to. Maybe by pressing Ctrl + number = F(n)
    Or Ctrl + shift + number = F(n)
    Something similar.