1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Issues/Variables

Discussion in 'Counter-Strike 2 Chat' started by Elite, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Elite

Elite Member
    Donator

I am receiving issues when playing CSGO, that makes it very unplayable. I have relatively high ping, and i believe this is because of the part of net_graph, called var: (variables). I've looked around and have not found any fixes, but it causes me to lag, despite having god speeds majority of the time. This only happens when i play CSGO, as when i play LoL, or CSS i have no issues with internet connectivity.
    I have provided a few screenshots that i feel would be useful to show what i'm trying to put across
    Ingame: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818788844
    Lobby: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818787646
    Speedtest : http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5882440498
    ~Ethernet is not an option~
    Also all my drivers for my network card are up to date, i've tried different modes with windowed etc, no fixes.

2. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver The Experienced
    Retired Member

var is the variance of the framerate as far as I know, so probably not the cause of your problems. Has this started recently? Have you tried resetting the related vars to their default values?

3. Elite

Elite Member
    Donator

I've had this problem for a while, which is why i haven't played CSGO as much recently. What settings should i be looking at to set to default?

4. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver The Experienced
    Retired Member

I don't know about GO but in CSS that would be

rate
    cl_updaterate
    cl_cmdrate
    cl_interp
    cl_interp_ratio

If you type these in console, you should see a description along with the default values. Have you downloaded some "pro" config by any chance? You also seem to have serious problems with your framerate.

5. Elite

Elite Member
    Donator

Nah i haven't downloaded any pros config, no point that's what they prefer and what works for them. I've always had low FPS, usually get around 30-60 in game which i've been used to. I'll change those to default and see what happens
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 15, 2016, Original Post Date: Dec 15, 2016 ---
    I've set all the values to default and no change (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818834042), i presume it must be something to do with my internet, but everything else seems to work fine :/

6. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

I personally think the default values are low, even more so when you connect to a 128 tick server.

I would recommend you put this in your autoexec.cfg file. Create it if you cant find this file under the /csgo/cfg/ folder:
    rate "128000"
    cl_cmdrate "128"
    cl_updaterate "128"
    cl_interp "0"
    cl_interp_ratio "1"

Also, is your system able to handle csgo? The fps is quite low. The recent screenshots 12fps... that is unplayable.
    Anyway the the last screenshot, you have a var of 72.5ms!! While the server is meeting the requirement for a 64 tick server with 9.4ms.
    Your choke is quite high, so you need to increase your rates especially the rate command. Try the rate settings above.

7. Elite

Elite Member
    Donator

My laptop is the best for handling it, but i've never really had a major issue with the fps, as i got pretty used to playing it on low. But since this problem it's been lower than 20 at most times, whereas before it wouldn't be that low, and i'd be able to play.
    Also any chance of explaining what the var actually means, still unsure.
    I've put the commands in above i'll post a screenshot next of any differences.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 16, 2016, Original Post Date: Dec 16, 2016 ---
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=819024613 Lobby
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=819024634 Ingame
    Again not much of a change after implementing these :////

8. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

Are you running anything in the background while running CS:GO? It's something on your PC that is lagging csgo or it's a network issue. Check if some other software is downloading or using up your processing resources.

There are 2 vars if you notice... The top one is for the client which is you in this case. And the one below is for the server.
    The client var shows the standard deviation of your framerate for last 1000 frames. Yours is jumpy and unstable. If you try capping FPS to maybe 30 or 15 FPS and see if this improves.
    The one below is server var which is used to tell the standard deviation of accuracy of this function in server called nanosleep. It's when the server basically sleeps and wakes up to start simulating the next frame.

I know you weren't looking for this info but to simply put:

FPS: higher the better (obviously)
    Top var: lower the better.
    Ping: lower the better (obvious again). Not sure why you have 100+...

loss: should be 0% or it means packet loss, server is not receiving packets. Hints network issue.
    choke: basically means client cant process and keep up with the server on time. The server is sending client the packets but your connection cant handle it. Should be 0% or increase rates. Hints network issue.

Tick: either 64 or 128 tick. Higher is better but requires more (double) resources.
    sv: on 64 tick, it should be less than 15ms. On 128 tick, should be less than 7ms.
    +-: lower the better.
    bottom var: should be quite low, fractions of milliseconds.

If you can still get server IP by typing status in console while on MM servers, try doing a tracert and check the where the ping is abnormally increasing.
    in cmd, type tracert <enter server ip without the port>

Btw, we don't need the lobby screenshot, doesn't show anything :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  9. Elite

Elite Member
    Donator

@Nomy
    Typically i don't run anything in the background when playing, maybe teamspeak when playing because of low fps i try to minimise the amount of stuff i have open.
    I'm starting to think it's going to be a network issue, rather than anything else. I opened task manager to check performance and what is being sent and received, and at points both go down to 0? So either my internet keeps consistently dropping out or is that normal for it to happen, i don't feel it is? I'm also scanning my computer for any potential software that could be affecting performance, although I don't think i've installed anything that could do any potential harm.
    Right now i believe my fps is capped to 60, which is what has worked forever and has stopped it being so bad, but i'll try lowering and see what happens in next post.
    I'll also send what happens with tracert.
    (This is what my task manager looks like, i edited out SSID and addresses for obvious reasons) I don't feel this is normal for it to be like this.
    upload_2016-12-16_13-17-36.png