1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PC, Hardware suggestion

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by Boost, May 29, 2016.

1. Boost

Boost The Experienced
    Donator

Hello firstly, long time I don't jump around here and there on the servers :hi:

I'll get to the point. I'll start working very soon, and soon, hopefully, I'll be able to afford money to get the dream PC I never had.
    Well, simple dream for most of you probably, but a big one to me since I've been living with trash since I've been a gamer, with very, awful updates.

I wanna build it from zero. Need everything new and fresh that a computer case must have (and the case too). I'll probably choose a new mouse by myself, that's also important cuz it is probably the shittiest part of my setup, but suggestions for that are good too.

I would like to use around ~800€. If you know some websites that sell this kind of stuff for a cheap price, would be cool to know, but remember that I live in PastaLand. Else just give me product names and I'll search them by myself to get the best price.

Last thing, since I've been always stupid on hardware knowledge, to explain why you'd choose a certain piece instead of another, so I start learn something. Obv if you can and if you want.

Thanks alot for reading ay!

2. DaNiNeX

DaNiNeX The Experienced

Know shit bout building a pc, just wanted to drop by to say hey boost!

Hey boost! :hi:

3. DearlyDie

DearlyDie Member
    Donator

Hey boost, long time no see man, I put together a pretty decent spec here for you:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wFgp9W

The catch is that it's about 970 euro, let's go through the specs:

CPU: Intel i6 6600K - The K shows it's a Skylake series, so you can feel free to overclock it in the future if you need extra power. However I've got the 6600K and I can safely say it's a awesome CPU, for me it's run CPU heavy applications and simulations without any issue so far.

CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo - I've also got this cpu cooler, it's ugly and big, but it does the job and you can safely overclock your CPU without any heat issues.

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A - This motherboard has to have a socket that's compatible with your CPU, the socket for your CPU is LGA1151, and this motherboard is LGA1151 compatible, so you're safe there. I also own this motherboard, and it's an amazing motherboard. The BIOS (the screen you use when you boot-up to manage CPU overclocking, and frequency alongside fan speeds, etc) is very easy to use, and the motherboard's got a bunch of handy features like on/off charge built in.

RAM: G Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2x4GB) - Since you're on a budget, 8GB is enough for the meanwhile, your motherboard has 4 DDR4 (The type of compatibility of ram) slots, so you can purchase another lot of these in the future to upgrade to 16GB when you get more money. I also chose these because they're red and they'll match the theme of your video card and case lol. You can feel free to change RAM, but make sure it's DDR4.

Storage: Samsung 250GB SSD - I have this alongside a 1 Terabyte hard drive. It doesn't have much space, and you'll run out of space quickly. But it boots your PC in about under 10 seconds, it speeds up launch times of applications and programs rapidly.

Video Card: MSI Geforce GTX 960 - This card is somewhat decent, you'll be able to play games like GTA V, Battlefield 4 on high specs with decent FPS. You shouldn't need a new card anytime soon, but if you want to upgrade, you could upgrade to a Geforce GTX 980 without having to buy a new power supply unit or CPU, because yours are already high-end. If you look into video cards, you'll notice that there are many different types just for one card, i.e: EVGA Geforce GTX 960, or ASUS Geforce GTX 960, etc. These are the same type of card with the same specs, but just produced by different card manufacturers. If you're on a budget, i'd recommend sticking to MSI and ASUS, they're usually reliable and not overpriced.

Power Supply Unit: EVGA 650W - The entire specifications you've got right now will use about 400W, which gives you 250W (approx) to upgrade in the future if you want a more powerful video card etc. So this future proof-s you. THE PSU IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, MAKE SURE NOT TO CHEAP OUT ON IT BECAUSE IF IT BLOWS, IT'LL WRECK YOUR ENTIRE PC (video card, CPU, motherboard, you name it). I've done it before and it wastes alot of money.

Case: Nzxt S340 Black/Red - You can swap your case out for any style you prefer, I chose this because of the black/red theme with the video card, motherboard and ram. Just make sure that your case will fit your motherboard. Your motherboard is ATX sized, so your case will have to be the same. If your case says Micro-ATX or MATX, it's for the smaller version of the motherboard and it won't fit your case.

The entire price comes upto 970 euros, which is slightly above your budget. But it's basically future-proof and at a high spec already.

I tried to explain this in a beginner-friendly way, so sorry if I sounded condescending lol. Lemme know if you need a hand with anything.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 29, 2016, Original Post Date: May 29, 2016 ---
    Also, if you want to save a hundred or so euros, you can look to buying your video card or RAM second hand, it'll be alot cheaper, but probably more used and likely to break.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Boost

Boost The Experienced
    Donator

Thank you so much!
    It's an okay price dw, I could even build a 1500€ PC or little more, It's just about waiting more time of work, and I don't need a NASA PC, just need to have a quick one and able to let me play all games I want.

Just a question. How do I figure out how much Watt will use a PC with certain specs? Is it written on the details of the products?

Again thanks for your time, as you said I think also I will start with 2x4 of Ram and buy more later.

5. DearlyDie

DearlyDie Member
    Donator

No worries, you can use this website here to get an basic estimate: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator Because I have some time, I put in the specs listed above, and added a keyboard, mouse and some USB devices and it comes out with 343W (http://outervision.com/b/qnRl0o). As you see, you have about 300W to spare for upgrades, which should last you awhile.

For ease, the website I linked (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/wFgp9W) also shows an estimate on the wattage from your components. It's highlighted in red here:

[​IMG]

Going under your PSU wattage is fine, you'll just have excess watts you won't use. But when you go over the watts your PC needs your PSU will heavily damage your components and like destroy your video card and motherboard.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  6. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

Here is a system with AMD FX-8350 8 cores 4 GHz CPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB WD Black Harddisk (No SSD), Nvidia GTX 960 GPU, Corsair SPEC Mid tower case with Steel Series Sensei RAW gaming mouse.
    Total: €840.00

http://it.pcpartpicker.com/p/2NYqqk
    All parts are available on Amazon Italia with reviews.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LittleDemon

LittleDemon Member

I'd recommend listening to Nomy he knows his stuff, I have a similar build he made for me a year and a half ago and it's still very decent even for new games. Only thing I can truely suggest is to never get cooler master power supplies though, anything else is fine but the CM650W has very bad reputation for example (in France at least, mine died after the 1 year warranty).

8. DearlyDie

DearlyDie Member
    Donator

9. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

I think you meant if he had some money to waste. He will not use the GPU that comes on the CPU (Intel HD Graphics 530) and you pay about 80 euros more if you go with Intel. This is just the CPU. Intel boards also tend to cost more since it includes the the unnecessary display port that a gamer won't use because they would have a dedicated graphics.

I'll try creating a list of Intel system too. But it seems like waste of money for that little performance gain per core.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 31, 2016, Original Post Date: May 31, 2016 ---
    Here is an Intel system. I knew you wouldn't OC so I didn't get Z version of chipset for motherboard.
    I don't like gaming systems where the GPU isn't the most expensive part. This is one of the them... And on top of this, you are wasting a small little GPU chip that comes on your CPU which you will never use as a gamer. I also got a smaller cooler since the CPU is 91W compared to the AMD CPU which was 125W.

Total: €842.37
    http://it.pcpartpicker.com/p/49ZD4C

And no gaming mouse included here because Intel takes up all the extra moneys.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  10. DearlyDie

DearlyDie Member
    Donator

@Nomy

The integreted GPU is worthless, but the performance per core for Intel is always greater than AMD, that's why it always outperforms AMD CPU's. Even for a cheaper CPU like the it 4460 (which is £10 more than the FX8350) the single-core performance is significantly greater than AMD: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4460-vs-AMD-FX-8350

Overall, AMD CPU's have lower single-core performance, higher heat output and higher power draw. But they're cheap, which is why they're used in budget builds. But usually you have to overclock them for best performance on gaming - which is why you needed the larger CPU cooler.

Intel however, costs more, but has a greater single-core performance, lower power usage and heat output. You won't need to overclock to play high-end games like Battlefield 4, or Crysis 3, but you can overclock and get added performance.

Like boost said, money isn't an issue, but he just wants a high spec rig that can play modern games without issues. For a techno-novice, he should probably just get an intel rig where he doesn't have to overclock to see good performance.

11. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

First of all I would like to say I'm not a fanboy of neither AMD nor Intel. I know Intel has better performance per core but don't forget that AMD CPU has 8 cores at 4GHz stock (without overclocking) and it costs a lot less with no extra useless feature like the built-in crappy GPU (This is a waste of money for gaming PC, If only Intel made server cpu affordable). I just made a build to suite his budget of 800 euros.

I had also done a Intel build so if he wants he can go for that too. If he wants to spend more he could get better part... It's up to him, I just offered him additional option. Right now we have 2 Intel builds and 1 AMD. Maybe someone else will post another...

Since the beginning of the post, i realised he wont overclock so I didn't get him a lowered clocked CPU. That AMD 8-core CPU is at 4GHz. This is good enough for any game or did you find a game where this CPU is a bottleneck? Please let me know because I really don't think so. That CPU is great for games. If I was to use same budget as your build, I'll include a GTX 970 with it and it will still be a sweet CPU to go with.

Only you thought he would overclock since you got him a Z chipset motherboard. ;)

12. LittleDemon

LittleDemon Member

I've had it for a year and it's great at multi-tasking and for all games except one (Tera). The only games that it has trouble with are the ones that aren't coded to take advantage of more than 1 or 2 cores, which is where Intel could eventually outweigh AMD. But nowadays games are coded to use all available cores so this ain't an issue. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

Older games aren't optimised for multi-core CPU.

14. Boost

Boost The Experienced
    Donator

What are the prices nowdays of good SSD Hard Disks? I like the setup but I would still like to get an SSD, I don't need too much, 60GB or 120GB should be enough.

15. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

16. Arya

Arya Veteran Member
    Retired Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

These ones are a lot better. The writes on the Kingston one isn't as good as this.

• Agree Agree x 1