1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to spot cheaters

Discussion in 'Counter-Strike Source Chat' started by Dylan, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Dylan

Dylan Member
    Donator

Distinguishing cheaters and good players can vary from being an easy and a hard job.

Few things you shouldn't do, because if you did, the suspicious player could cease his cheats, disconnect or anything similar.

What not to do
    Don't scream in the middle of the game, "Dylan is wallhacking!". He'll get really suspicious, and cease any suspicious actions and weird gameplay.
    Instead, you should go onto team chat, and type "@ Dylan is a wallhacker " , or contact an admin ( http://steamcommunity.com/groups/HeLL-F )
    or a payadmin( http://hellclan.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=15306 )through steam . You could also make a demo of the cheater.

So, what is a wallhack?
    Wallhacks and ESP (See below) are often mixed up.
    I got a quote from wikipedia just to ensure I'm 100% correct on what a wallhacker is.
    It takes a lot of time to become really good at spotting wallhackers, and isn't something you can just do overnight.
    Since a (vast majority) of cheat programmes have multiple cheats in their programme, wallhacking can often be easy to spot, but can also be very hard.

Before accusing somebody of wallhacking, you should really spectate them. Many wallhackers will claim to have either a good sound system, or being very lucky. "CSS is only 2 channels any 2.1 headphones will do the job." If you have a 2.1 headset, you will really be able to tell if they are using sound to tell where the enemies are.

On ]HeLL[ If you upload a demo of a wallhacker, and he isn't wallhack, they will not shout at you, instead you will be thanked for your efforts! Bare that in mind.

Anyway, back on track. Once you have recorded a demo of the cheater, and you have his steam ID, it's always good to watch over the demo, as you may of just been "mad" that he was owning you (you may not think it happens, but it does).
    You can always watch it back with wireframe enabled to ensure the best results.

To view demos' with wireframe enabled, it allows you to see where the enemy are, like a built in wallhack.
    You can ONLY use wireframe on sv_cheats 1 enabled servers. To enable wireframe on a demo, follow the next steps :

Open console, type playdemo demoname.
    Once demo has loaded or while it is loading, type the following into console, :
    mat_wireframe 1
    r_drawothermodels 2
    sv_showinpacts 1

The demo now has a kind of wallhack, so you can see things like if the suspected player is following players through walls etc. If you use this method, you are less likely to go wrong in catching cheaters.
    Just remember, because they are better than you, doesn't mean they cheat.
    You can also use the command demoui which is the demo gui, helping you rewind, play, stop, go to certain times on the demo. Very useful.
    If they kill you through walls or know were you are, it does NOT mean they cheat.
    A lot of times it is generally due to sound. Sometimes even luck and knowledge of the game, eg where to shoot.
    [​IMG]

I cant do a wallhack comparison to regular game play. But this is how a wallhack would look on the cheaters screen (NOT ESP).

(Later on I'm intending to do a side by side comparison of wallhack and regular footage)

You can also use the radar (top left) to see what is on there, if a teammate has seen an enemy and he has been highlighted.

So, you may be wondering, is that it for the wallhack side of things? Apart from things like norecoil, aimbot (pretty easy to spot if it's rage bot), you also get ESP ( Extra Sensory Perception ). This can show the cheater all information about a player, from HP to ping. It usually also draws a box around players.

[​IMG]This is an example of an ESP in CS:S, Not a very detailed one may I say.

Aimbots

Just a quick quote, once again from Wikipedia (to ensure I don't mislead anyone) on what an aimbot is:
    So, aimbots are mainly used to make aiming easier for the player. When an aimbot is mixed with many other cheats (nospread, norecoil, esp) it will destroy people. In fact, A well coded aim bot will destroy people anyway.

So, aimbots, what types are there?

I'll do the one Soul Reaver suggested first. Trigger bots.
    A trigger bot is basically an aimbot, that shoots when an opponent appears within the field of view or the crosshair of a player. This can often be easy to spot, but often quite hard.
    Here's an example of a 'legit' trigger bot, where the cheater puts the trigger bot on a low FOV (Field of view).

Here's an example of an obvious trigger bot. (Thanks to Soul Reaver for the video!)

Next, Key bound aimbots.
    Bound aimbots use a FOV and Hitboxes to aim. Normally this aimbot is bound to mouse1 , and will automatically aim within a preset body part or hitbox. Generally the cheat will have settings to aim for the head, chest, stomach, arms, and legs. Head being most effective, it is also the most detectable. Most will set this to Chest or Stomach to avoid detection. The aimbot uses a FOV (or Field of View) to determine where to shoot, and most cheaters will set this at a low number, to avoid detection.

Automatic Aimbot

This will just shoot and get kills instantly without you pressing any buttons. ~( Notice how his recticle just randomly switches to where the players heads are).

Silent Aim.
    Silent aim is for example, The guy is standing on one half the map, and i fire, for example, on the floor, it will kill him.
    you do not aim at people but it will still shoot and kill them, almost as if the bullets are curving(They are not, the vectors do not change).
    It hides your aimbot movements on screen.
    Your screen doesnt VISIBLY move, but it does, the bullet vector isnt changed at all, nor does it appear like it.

Now, norecoil and nospread.
    The basic way to explain norecoil, is that when they shoot, their guns recoil will be reduced.
    lt will reduce of eliminate the recoil felt by the player, and basically, when the player shoots, the crosshair will not move.
    ( 1 : 06 Displays the most obvious norecoil)

Nospread

No-Spread is somewhat similar to Norecoil. Nospread limits or eliminates the inaccuracy while 'spraying' and automatic weapon.
    Apart from the fact this is a script and not an exe, this is what nospread looks like.

Hopefully this was useful, and if you didn't know about any of the methods mentioned, maybe they will help you.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. VIpEr

VIpEr Veteran Member
    Donator

Well Done Dylan, nice tutorial for people that are not sure of this information, good use of helpful commands as well, really well done :)

Should be stickied :)

3. Steviee

Steviee The Experienced
    Donator

Very good and very useful.

I didn't know about those commands and now I understand how the report I just did is false.

Good job bro. This should make an Important, Nice tutorial.

I'm sure this info will help others.

4. Dylan

Dylan Member
    Donator

Thanks dudes:)
    Still more to be added!:)
    Thanks for the sticky! :h:

5. Adey

Adey The Experienced
    Retired Member

I thought all this was common knowledge.

Maybe better sticky in "Counter-Strike Source Chat" as it's not a "Problem or Suggestion"

6. Brandon

Brandon The Experienced
    ]HeLL[ Member

Looks good and detailed for players who don't know how to spot WH, nice one!
    You should add more things to cover any kind of cheat (No-recoil etc), while this might be hard to explain by writing.

7. Dylan

Dylan Member
    Donator

Thanks Adey :)
    Yeah, I will be adding more when I get a chance.

Will bare this in mind for when I start to update them.
    Got all day off tomorrow so

8. Nomy

Nomy Administrator
    Super Admin ]HeLL[ Member

People can learn a lot from videos :)

9. Steviee

Steviee The Experienced
    Donator

Look and see if they have recoil? xD

10. Brandon

Brandon The Experienced
    ]HeLL[ Member

lol troll, with almost any cheat you have to look first, but if people don't know what to look for then its hard to see :)

11. Steviee

Steviee The Experienced
    Donator

A few "Symptoms" of hacks.

Aimbot:
    * Deadly Accurate Lock On Aimbot
    * Auto bot will fire and kill for you
    * Auto switch to next enemy after kill
    * Full No Recoil so your weapon won’t move
    * Full 360 FOV Aimbot can even see behind you
    * Bone Scan finds a bone to hit when the player hides
    * Aim key can be set to use any aimkey you choose
    * Head/Neck/Chest/Waist Kill Boxes for variations
    * Select Enemies, Friends, or Everyone as your target
    * Smooth Aim slows the movement to look natural
    * Visibility Checks only locks on when player can be hit
    * Target by closest to distance or closest to crosshair

ESP:
    * Name Tags show names of all friendlies and enemies
    * Health Tags show health of all friendlies and enemies
    * Visual Tags shows an icon or frame around enemies
    * Distance Tags show the distance to enemies
    * Line ESP draws a red line from player to you
    * Smart Bounding Boxes with Colors
    * Head dot draws dot on enemy head
    * Ignore friends helps spot the enemy

ViewDistance:
    * Three varying distances to allow you to see the entire map.

2D Radar:
    * Reveals enemy positions.

Misc:
    * Show FPS show your frame rate inside the game
    * Show Ping displays your ping on screen
    * Show Time display the current time in game
    * Enemy Aim Warnings to warn when your in danger
    * 6 different crosshairs to choose from with colors

Some are ofc allowed.

Also I found a good post on a generally reliable source.
    http://www.nextlevelgamer.com/counter-strike/how-to-spot-a-real-hacker

12. Nomy

Nomy Administrator

need videos to show how to they look in first person while spectating tbh.

13. topbadge

topbadge Veteran Member
    Content Creator Donator

If you have any demos I'm sure I can throw something together or ask ponz he's good with video iirc.

14. Steviee

Steviee The Experienced
    Donator

I can imagine getting videos would be quite difficult, because to get videos, you'd need to get hackers.

I just tried searching Youtube "How to spot hackers in css."

All that came up was people hacking in css.
    Maybe just watch vids of people hacking in css so you get you get used to the "Rhythm" of what it's like to be spectating hackers.

15. Boy

Boy Administrator

So true. This is often the biggest killer and the most common reason of offender getting away.
    If an admin doesnt say Hi, that means they dont wanna get noticed :p and please do not report to an admin publicly.

16. topbadge

topbadge Veteran Member
    Content Creator Donator

Admins may also want to consider changing their names when they're called on for this reason. ;)

17. Steviee

Steviee The Experienced
    Donator

When called on by someone over steam, generally the name is expressed so this can be determined weather or not they'll know you.

18. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver The Experienced
    Retired Member

r_portalsopenall 1 is also very useful.
    CSS uses portal rendering so even if you put r_drawothermodels 2 you won't be able to see all models behind walls.

I'm surprised you didn't mention triggerbots.
    Those hacks shoot automatically for you when your crosshair is on the enemies head.

IMO those can be very hard to detect, here is a video of an obvious one:

19. Dylan

Dylan Member
    Donator

:p

For some reason my screenshots aren't showing in the post? any idea why:p?

20. Redhawk

Redhawk The Experienced

Good job Dylan! :)